TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my T-bird for the past 11yrs. It was a daily car at first, used all year round and in all weathers. For the past 3.5yrs it's been a summer car. The small amount of rust in the rockers was properly dealt with, the whole car was wax injected and undersealed, and apart from the slight detour when it was totalled and had the drivers door/pillar rebuilt, it's spent most of its time tucked up in a safe garage. There are a few jobs to do - it could do with some new rotors and a tranny oil change, but its in pretty good shape.

Some of you may remember a guy on here that was from the Netherlands - Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks). Robert sadly passed away from cancer in 2012. He had a really nice lowered gold 94 4.6 which has been stored by his family ever since. Anyway, his sister contacted me the other day to ask if I'd be interested in buying Roberts car. Dilemma.

The car is in Belgium, which is across the English Channel from me. It would probably need moving from Belgium to England on a transporter, due to it not being registered in the UK, and not having been driven much for the last 4 years. That'll cost as fair bit. Then it would need registering in the UK, testing etc etc.

As I said, I'm not using my car daily anymore - I have a Eurobox for that to save some money as the fuel prices went right up a while back. My Bird is in my garage, and it would be difficult to store another car. One or other would be outside.

Then there's the fact that I struggle to find convenient circumstances to get my car out as it is - I don't now like getting it wet, so in England that cuts down the driving days a lot!

I don't really want to sell mine - since I've had it so long, its in good shape, and it was recently the cause of so much upset when I had the accident in it. BUT, it would be such s shame to lose out on Roberts car.

And so we go round in circles.....

Here are some photos or Roberts car. One of the last things he did to it before he passed was to add air-ride suspension.

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/120048-great-photoshoot-because-my.html

and with the air-ride:

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/140405-another-wish-came-true.html

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
I wish I had this dilemma! :diablo:

It's a tough call. It sounds like it's going to be an expense to get over to you. You know anyone looking for a nice American car? :gapteeth:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,168 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's practically possible based on your current set of circumstances. You've got your own MN12 which you already have invested in financially and sentimentally (if you're anything like me, lol).

That said, Robert's bird is a unique combination of mods with a story of its own and needs to go somewhere it will be appreciated. Bringing it across the channel to the UK is certainly one avenue; is there anyone you know who could appreciate it as much as you, who has the means to transport, store, drive and care for it?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, well it is "possible", but not practical. I'd struggle to drive them both enough to warrant the insurance alone. I could maybe justify it by selling my daily eurobox and driving mine every day, but that would rack up the fuel bill again (and risk getting it smashed in by mad Fiat-500-driving women). I don't really know anyone else who would appreciate it either. I'm a bit of an anomaly compared to most UK car enthusiasts.

And yes I do get way too attached to them too. Only last week (when I was driving my sisters car) I was on the point of offering to buy that from her, because it was the last car my dad bought before he died, and only got second brand new car he ever had. Hopeless case!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Regarding selling yours and buying the other one: If the market over there is anything like the market over here, it is almost impossible to sell these cars. Unless you want to give one away.

Good luck with your decision!

Al

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like its about the same. Unlike Mustangs, Thunderbirds never command much of a price, and like you say, you'd end up giving it away.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Too bad you're across the pond..It would be easier to find a home for Robert's car here in the states..

Unless you have the room for another toy, to take out and play with every once in awhile..I would pass..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
7,485 Posts
Well for me, this is an easy decision: keep your car, and pass on Robert's. If you can't justify keeping both, then buying another one in the hopes of selling yours is not a wise decision. Plus with the money you would spend on getting his car imported, registered, inspected, insured, etc., you could instead spend some of that money to improve the one you already have. Looking at the 2 cars, his is a full show car, and yours is bone stock. With his, you would have to keep it in line with the mods he has already done, and since he has passed, if you changed anything, you might feel bad about it. Your car on the other hand is a blank canvas for whatever you want to do to it. Also look at which car is more likely to sell for a decent price and be appreciated as it is. With your car being completely stock, your only market is a thunderbird enthusiast in England, which is not a lot of people. With his being modified, I think there are probably more people who are into the air ride, or the blingy wheels, or just large american cars in general, who would consider buying his car, but who wouldn't look twice at yours. If I were in your shoes, I tell his family that it isn't practical for you to buy his car, but encourage them to get the car out to shows, since first off, that will be the best chance of finding a suitable buyer who will care for the car, and secondly, they may find that bringing the car to shows, and talking about Robert and his love for this car is actually a nice way of remembering him and honoring him, and I think people will respond well to that, and if they do that, the car will get a lot more appreciation in its current hands than it would sitting in your garage or driveway not being driven.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you've managed to summarise, all the random thoughts that have been running through my head for the last few days! I think you've got it about right too. I would feel like I couldn't change anything on the car. Apart from anything else, it would not be much fun negotiating all the speed bumps around here with those skinny tyres!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I remember talking to Robert, he said he wanted to bring his car to the US and take a road trip over here before his time was up. It would be hard to find somebody to appreciate the car as much as he put into it. I would hope that if you passed on the deal that his family wouldnt get rid of it just to see it gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts