TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a couple nights ago, one of those flags that you hang off the side of your house got blown off and landed on the hood of my car. Now i have a nice quarter sized ding right in the center of my hood and it is driving me crazy. Does anyone know any other ways to get this taken care of without taking it to a body shop and letting them fill the ding and paint the hood......all that work seems a bit extreme and not to mention expensive as well to fix a ding on an otherwise "perfect" hood.

I found this guy in my area, but i have a hard time believing it can be that easy...

The Ding Guy

·
Registered
653 Posts
Try the Redneck-do-it-yourself way like my family always did.

Step 1: Use a plunger

Step 2: If the plunger don't work, then a wooden block and a hammer should

#1 worked on my old Grand Am, and # 2 worked on my old Tempo.

·
Registered
653 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
why does everyone make fun of methods that work really well? wooden block and hammer workes really well
FYI, I wasn't knocking it! ;) You should've seen the incident with my '89 Grand Am's bumper.. Girl backed into it and knocked it very slightly out of place, so my friend took a shovel -- That's right, a shovel! -- and beat the bumper back into place. After wiping the dirt off, you couldn't tell that it'd been bumped by either car or yard tool. :D

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm..well this is moreso a tight ding then a dent...im not too sure if the hammer and wooden block method will work....

thanks for the input so far guys....

·
Registered
107 Posts
DOnt use those stupid techniques!!! lol

take about 25.00 and get a ding king remover or those suction cup things they got on ebay......Use them and they will pop the dent/ding in place

I have one of the side of my car and people tells me this works so ima try it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That's if you wanna spend actual money. For those of us who don't or can't, plungers and hammers work just fine.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Rally said:
FYI, I wasn't knocking it! ;) You should've seen the incident with my '89 Grand Am's bumper.. Girl backed into it and knocked it very slightly out of place, so my friend took a shovel -- That's right, a shovel! -- and beat the bumper back into place. After wiping the dirt off, you couldn't tell that it'd been bumped by either car or yard tool. :D
shovel? thats a method i havent tried yet. my neighbor backed his truck into a telephone pole and bent his bumper up, so he pulled back into his driveway came over got me to look at it, went back got a 20 lb sledge and knocked it back into place.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
AlpineBird said:
Now i have a nice quarter sized ding right in the center of my hood and it is driving me crazy.

open the hood get it from under neath with block and hammer, its that simple

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ding repair

Hi Guys,
My name is Dave. I am the The Ding Guy mentioned above. There are many misconceptions about dent repair, but just to let you know what it is I do, and I do this everyday for several dealerships, detail shops, and even a few body shops use my service. It is called paintless dent repair, and it is NOT easy, but very skilled use of minor dent repair using pointed rods and small handtools, to massage the metal back without having to repaint.

Alpinebird. From the sound of the dent you described, it will not be a soft round smooth dent that the glue puller from Ding King will work on. There is most likely some stretched metal in the center of the dent. As for using a wooden block and hammer on the dent, I would say good luck, mainly because there are many braces under your hood, and I would say the chances of this dent being located over one or part of one is great. That said, even if it is in an open area, you have a great risk of cracking the paint if you try to move the metal too fast.
I am not knocking anyone on here trying to help. If these methods worked for you, then great. But the repairs I do, start at under 100 bucks, and ussually don't go over 125 unless there are several dings or unless they are larger dents. And you don't have to worry about repainting your hood (which also means blending both fenders to match) if you mess it up with block and hammer, or leaving a volcano on the hood trying to glue pull a dent that has stretched metal.

·
Registered
653 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
shovel? thats a method i havent tried yet. my neighbor backed his truck into a telephone pole and bent his bumper up, so he pulled back into his driveway came over got me to look at it, went back got a 20 lb sledge and knocked it back into place.
Me and my friends were "special". :D Where I'm from, we have a saying that goes:

"If duct tape can't fix it, you don't need it!"

Tape on blown bike tires, shovels for bumpers, hammers for quarter panels, plungers for doors, super glue for loose dashboards... We used everything we had lying around to fix stuff with. You name it, we probably used it.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
thats sounds like my friends and i rally. one of my friends made a new convertible top for his 88 mustang out of duct tape

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The "stupid" techniques work great lol. My buddy bent his bumper against a pole, just tied it to a tree and backed up, pulled it right back into place.

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would like to see the repair these hammers n what not has done for you guys cause this is hard to believe they worked without messing up the paint or anything of that nature lol

please show me guys

·
Registered
653 Posts
flawLess_whiP said:
I would like to see the repair these hammers n what not has done for you guys cause this is hard to believe they worked without messing up the paint or anything of that nature lol

please show me guys
Can't show you, the car's are in the scrap heaps now due to engines dying. Anyway, with my Grand Am's bumper, unpainted plastic can't have damaged paint, can it? ;)

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ACNJ- Im the one who called you today about a ding on my hood i wanted to get looked at, you told me to give you a call on wednesday to come over and look at it. If you want i could post a picture of it and you could decide if its fixable instead of making a trip out.

let me know.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
just get a pick hammer and pick from the out side working to the center of the dent . with very soft blows from the bottom side of the hood while feeling with your other hand on top to feel the blows. that should get you close to where it's not as bad. with out taking it to a body shop. Im currently taking autobody in salina,ks that 's how we do it then plastic and paint . aslo you can use an pro spot puller if you have access to one.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ACNJ- Here are some pics of the ding...

Its not the worst but it annoys me. let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts