TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into a disc brake swap for the back, but I'm also trying to figure out how to beef up the rear-end so that it'll handle about 450hp. I'm not sure where to start any tips would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
You'll need disc brake spindles, e-brake cables, brake lines (not positive on that part), and of course the calipers, rotors and pads.

For more power, start with poly bushings to replace all the old rubber. Bushing flex -> wheelhop -> broken halfshafts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need disc brake spindles, e-brake cables, brake lines (not positive on that part), and of course the calipers, rotors and pads.

For more power, start with poly bushings to replace all the old rubber. Bushing flex -> wheelhop -> broken halfshafts.
This might be a dumb question but will that change my bolt pattern on my wheels? I’m wanting to keep the bolt pattern if possible because I have new rims on it and I’m wanting to keep those on.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
The hubs are pressed into the bearings and spindles for the rear, so unless you've hubswapped and redrilled your drums, the bolt pattern won't change from the factory 5x108

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
This might be a dumb question but will that change my bolt pattern on my wheels? I’m wanting to keep the bolt pattern if possible because I have new rims on it and I’m wanting to keep those on.
It only changes the bolt pattern if you don't use the MN12 hubs.

May be able to use your current spindles; check and see if it's got the mounting bracket holds drilled in it for the caliper mounting brackets.

Raw casting was the same; disc brake spindles have the mounting bracket holes finished and drilled, and some drum brake cars got disc brake spindles. (For pricing, figure on buying them, though.)

WHILE doing this, I'd do new hubs and bearings in any case; any MN12 is at least 24 years old, and if you're not sure the rear bearings have been done, they probably haven't been.

The parking brake lines to the brakes themselves change; but the intermediate forward are the same.

If at all possible, get a set from the boneyard so you have it all matched.

RwP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts