TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the front brakes in my '95 today, and when I pulled out the trunk floor to get to the jack (first time I've done that since I bought the car a year ago) I found the spare tire well full (well, about 1" deep) of water. :(

But, no harm done, I popped the drain plug and cut out the carpet and let it dry in the sun.

The real discovery, though, was that a. The spare has never been used -- still has the paint on the tread that says "PONY" and b. the Ford factory locking lug nuts were in their unopened bag, right next to the jack.

Maybe not that big a deal, but made me stop and go "huh." :)

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Replacement Decklid Weatherstrip

The same thing happened to me when I first bought my Sport..I just popped that rubber grommet out, and let the water drain..

I think what happens is the Decklid Weatherstrip just wears out over time, and lets the water get in there..

Here's a link to a new Decklid Weatherstrip--->>Decklid Weatherstrip

All the products from Steele Rubber Products have had good reviews, and are quality OEM replacements..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I first bought my Sport..I just popped that rubber grommet out, and let the water drain..

I think what happens is the Decklid Weatherstrip just wears out over time, and lets the water get in there..

Here's a link to a new Decklid Weatherstrip--->>Decklid Weatherstrip

All the products from Steele Rubber Products have had good reviews, and are quality OEM replacements..

:thumbsup:
Rayo..
I have the same problem with moisture getting inside the trunk.
Thanks for the link, Rayo! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
I changed the front brakes in my '95 today, and when I pulled out the trunk floor to get to the jack (first time I've done that since I bought the car a year ago) I found the spare tire well full (well, about 1" deep) of water. :(

But, no harm done, I popped the drain plug and cut out the carpet and let it dry in the sun.

The real discovery, though, was that a. The spare has never been used -- still has the paint on the tread that says "PONY" and b. the Ford factory locking lug nuts were in their unopened bag, right next to the jack.

Maybe not that big a deal, but made me stop and go "huh." :)
You didnt find the build sheet when you took out the carpet?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My Cougar leaks but its from where the rear "plate" (lack of a better term) behind the window and the left quarter panel meet, obviously TBirds don't have this piece but I just wanted to share some info. I need to re-do the sealant.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Salvage it as best you can, that's the real assembly sheet for your car.

You'll never get more info about your car than is on that piece of paper. :D

To dry it, make a stack:
Put the writing side down (on a flat surface) on a big baggie; put a piece of notebook paper on top of that, then put a thick layer of paper towels on top of that.

Put a thick book(s) on top of it and leave it overnight.

If you have any luck, that will press it back together; if the notebook paper sticks, leave it there.

:)

Post it up!

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
The trunk leaks are from the sealant used where body panels meet under the
corner (forward) of the deck lid.
The sealant dries and cracks.
At least on cougars.
My 96 stocker and my 95 racer leak in the same place.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The trunk leaks are from the sealant used where body panels meet under the
corner (forward) of the deck lid.
The sealant dries and cracks.
At least on cougars.
My 96 stocker and my 95 racer leak in the same place.
Yep

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Salvage it as best you can, that's the real assembly sheet for your car.

You'll never get more info about your car than is on that piece of paper. :D

To dry it, make a stack:
Put the writing side down (on a flat surface) on a big baggie; put a piece of notebook paper on top of that, then put a thick layer of paper towels on top of that.

Put a thick book(s) on top of it and leave it overnight.

If you have any luck, that will press it back together; if the notebook paper sticks, leave it there.

:)

Post it up!
Awwwww.....:( When I peeled out the carpet, the paper shredded because it was stuck to both carpet and trunk floor. Like, completely shredded. I only saw some bits of writing stuck to the trunk floor. I tossed out the nasty, moldy carpet, and it probably had the rest stuck to it. :bawling:

If I'd known in advance that it would've been there, I would have gone at things differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts