TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says. So, I'm getting ready to replace the radiator in my Mustang shortly. My question is, how do I get rid of all that old coolant responsibly? I know Ethylene Glycol isn't very environmentally friendly. Anyone know of any places near Norfolk, VA that takes in old coolant? If not, what's the best way for me to get rid of it? I tried searching, but no results came up on the subject.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Local Roll-Off

The local dump here has an oil disposal tank that I pour mine in...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
There's a place near me that supposedly takes it...but I had a hell of a time getting rid of old coolant a year ago...had to wait until a community hazardous waste disposal came around.

I had to break their rules on "stay in your car" because I didn't trust the guy to close my trunk without cracking my SHO spoiler...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Like the title says. So, I'm getting ready to replace the radiator in my Mustang shortly. My question is, how do I get rid of all that old coolant responsibly? I know Ethylene Glycol isn't very environmentally friendly. Anyone know of any places near Norfolk, VA that takes in old coolant? If not, what's the best way for me to get rid of it? I tried searching, but no results came up on the subject.
midas, pep boys, (your favorite auto chain)..make some calls..
Even Valvoline takes it here (they do coolant flushes).

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's weird is I called places like that and they only seem to take oil.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What's weird is I called places like that and they only seem to take oil.
When you change your oil, mix it in there and bring it back to 'em...I'm just sayin'!

·
Registered
219 Posts
most of the local parts houses seem to take it all as long as it is just straight one or the other not mixed . i got a buddy who works at alocal shop where i dispose of my fluids in their tanks , again seperate ones for all . i'm there quite a bit too . put a lot of miles on mine and hers , and the 53 has to have the rotella changed every 1000 so .................. { no oil filter on a flathead , it was an option } .

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Some states allow for it to be pour directly into a storm drain, not in the road, curb, or side walk but directly into the drain.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, looks like I'll have to do some more calling around then. At least I have some time before I have to worry about this. Thanks every one.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Actually milk jug drop offs are common where I work as well. Full of oil or coolant. But my shop willingly disposes of waste fluids for our customers preferably not mixed, but it happens occasionally. Than all of our waste coolant and oil get picked up by a third party treatment/recycling company.

·
Registered
219 Posts
well considering the nuclear waste my 5 month old grandson leaves in his diapers , that goes into the sewer i can't imagine antifreeze could even do the harm that would and the waste plants here in town seem to take care of it.....................................:mad:

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
55f350: unless you're feeding your kid antifreeze, his sh!t and Prestone are two different compounds.

Around my neck of the woods, all of the radiator repair shops recycle antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Ohio EPA website says antifreeze can be used as dust and weed control provided that it is not allowed to puddle or dumped in a way that will let it get into the water supply. Spray it thin on those weeds and gravel driveway.
Alan

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jiffy lube takes used anti freeze. You just bring it to them and they will direct you to where they want you to pour it into. I pour it into the tank where they do the oil change. Then i throw the containers in the trash bin they provide.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts