Mark VIII Torque converter
J-mod
Modmax underdrives
using stock MAF and EEC.

Sea level @68 degrees

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm not surprised. We have a few PI birds in this area, and my NPI '96 with 3.73's was faster than all of them with equal bolt-ons. One of the guys with a GT motor chased me as I added mods to my car, and in order to catch me he had to do exactly the same things to his to keep up. I had PNP NPI heads, he added a Bullitt intake and is close to where I was. There were some other differences, I had a slightly higher stall TC and a stronger trans. He had some tuning issues, too. But now he's beefed up his trans and got a good tune, and I don't think he has quite broken into the 13's yet, but he's real close. He needs to shave about .5 off to get where I ended up N/A with comp cams, and when he adds PNP PI heads and some cams and uses some stickier tires, he should be just a bit quicker.

The weight savings on the Explorer may be worth a tenth or two...

From what I've seen around here, putting a PI engine is not the "quick" fix to faster times. To get to the 13's you'll end up going the same route I did. You might be able to get to the high 13's by skipping the PNP and just adding some aggressive cams, but to get solid into the 13's you'll need to port the heads. At least that's the way it seems by watching the PI guys I know in this area.

Now that the PI intake is an option for the NPI engine, putting that on with some PI cams is a good way to go. The NPI heads aren't that bad, the NPI cams are kinda weak, and it's the NPI intake that's the cork.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I wouldnt rely to much on those G-tech times. I ran 15.1s with my 02 Exploder motor my first time at the track. At the time I had the stock TC, stock 3.27s, stock TB, stock downtubes and primary cats (true dual from the rear o2s back), stock MAF, stock tune, J-mod and Steeda UD pulleys. That TC in your car is worth up to .4 and you probably have 3.08 gears? I'd say your car is good for low 15s - high 14s. Get it to the track before you get dissapointed :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaron K. said:
I wouldnt rely to much on those G-tech times. I ran 15.1s with my 02 Exploder motor my first time at the track. At the time I had the stock TC, stock 3.27s, stock TB, stock downtubes and primary cats (true dual from the rear o2s back), stock MAF, stock tune, J-mod and Steeda UD pulleys. That TC in your car is worth up to .4 and you probably have 3.08 gears? I'd say your car is good for low 15s - high 14s. Get it to the track before you get dissapointed :)
My car has 3.27's According to the G-meter I'm only a second faster than my brothers 2.5Liter I6 BMW.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dude don't be disappointed at all. You really need to go to the track. I went 14.1 with 373's, kooks, 2800 t/c, underdrives and a 70mm mac tb Mike borrowed me. And that's without a tune. Now if I had a 3200 stall t/c I would have been faster than goldbird!:tongue: We basically had the same mods,except he had a bbk 75mm tb, ported plenum,reinhart trans and a 3200 t/c turning dot slicks! .............ohh yeah PnP npi heads w/pi cams. look at Aarons post everyone ran about the same without
a loose t/c and gears. At this point I'm still hitting 14.0's. I'm definitely going with a 3500 t/c, these cars are heavy! PI swap: best bang for the buck!:cbones:

Get a GT maf and a J tune!

·
Registered
965 Posts
G-Tech = Gay Tech :thumbsd: I would not count on one of them for accurate times.

I borrowed one from a friend some time ago and it was reading 14.8's when I was running 14.1's. I've seen many NPI stock long blocks run high 14's with bolt on's. Your Explorer motor should get you solid into the 14's. Your torque converter is going to be a little tight for your engine, but that can be remedied. :)

Either way I would wait until you can get it to track for some measured times before getting too upset with it.

Eric

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Dude ... take it to No Problem Raceway Park, your neighboring track is your friend, on wednesday afternoon 4-10pm... give em $10 and go see what your car REALLY does in the 1/4. Last run i made at No Problem is what you see in sig ... thats pretty much only with cufoff mufflers ... know how to launch would be good too. My best time completely stock was a 15.70 .Id say id meet you there but its pretty hectic and dont get to go very often. Get some real times and let everyone know then if you are still disappointed.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
toss that gaytech in the trash on your way to a track to get a real time, i wouldnt even think about posting times from a gaytech. get to a track and get real numbers.

and yes for the record, ive used a gtech before and it was WAY off, anywhere between a second to fast to two seconds to slow, thats a 3 second window there.

also, my times with my 00 motor without spray is 14.3 stock gear, stock exhaust minus mufflers, only real thing done was the stock mustang torque converter.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I would hope the G-tech is off, as my 96 ran faster and quicker than that totally stock. :leftright

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
96 GoldBird said:

Now that the PI intake is an option for the NPI engine, putting that on with some PI cams is a good way to go. The NPI heads aren't that bad, the NPI cams are kinda weak, and it's the NPI intake that's the cork.
I have the PI cams and PI intake on my stock NPI heads, and i'm very impressed thus far. I'm throwing in the FRPP pumpkin very soon and possibly a few other things.

It's a whole different car now.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
a chip may help you alot but id guess youd still be easyilsy low 15s

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Since you have 3.27's I have to agree with everyone here you have to be low 15's high 14's. I managed 15.3 with stock converter and open 3.08 gears. Also temp and humidy can play a major role in times. I was a little disapointed my first night out with the SVO when I could only pull a 14.8 the beginning of the night....but it was hot and humid. After a 7* drop in temp that evening my ET dropped to 14.3

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I would have to think that you'll fair better than 15.7...

I haven't been to the track yet on my setup, which is near identical to yours except I don't have pullies or 3.27 gear...

My admittedly unscientific 0-60 was around 7.2...not that that means a whole lot.

I'll be happy to beat Tim's first time with my car how it is now...but if not I hope I won't lose sleep over it. I'm not going to try to milk every last tenth out of this car, the following is what I still have left that I plan to do:

-Mild gear upgrade (3.27-3.55)
-Proper computer tuning (I'm still on my stock '95 EEC, no chip)
-True duals (couple of weeks, next thing that I am doing)
-SVO blower and related fuel system upgrades
-Driveshaft
-Suspension upgrades

Should be a real nice cruiser after that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think you have a problem somewhere.

My 1996 with 140,000 miles and the mods in my sig runs 14.9-15.0 with the G-tech

It could be due to your exhaust and lack of tune. You're still shifting at 4,400 rpm right? And correct me if I'm wrong (and I just might be), but didn't the "Bullitbird" dyno close to 250 rwhp with a totally stock NPI shortblock with unported PI gear plus a Bullit intake and tune and ran solid 13's? Those numbers are low considering I have seen a Grand Marquis LX with 3.27's and factory duals run a 15.76 with nothing more than a K&N filter and a tune.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
mercoug302 said:
And correct me if I'm wrong (and I just might be), but didn't the "Bullitbird" dyno close to 250 rwhp with a totally stock NPI shortblock with unported PI gear plus a Bullit intake and tune and ran solid 13's?
You're probably right, but comparing that set up to his is like apples to onions, the Bullitt is a big air flow advantage and there is full point more compression with that set up.... that is major...

There should more there than is shown on that funky Ghey-tech.... around 15 flat plus or minus a tenth is what I would guess...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I'll add one more thought. Regardless of the "number" are you happy with how the car drives now....more throttle response.....quicker revs...etc. If the answer is yes then nothing else matters. Sure I may have been a little disapointed with the "number" I got at the track but that only tells a small portion of the story. Ask me how satisfied I am with it's daily driving capabilities and the incredible passing power I have on the highway now. My car maybe sees the track once every three months but it lives on I-95 day in and day out 100 miles every day that is where it excels and that is where the complete story is told.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll second what Tim just said. I put 3.27's and some colder plugs and a colder t-stat in my '95 stocker. Then I took her to Miami and spent $400 for an SCT dyno tune.

Some might wonder about the sanity of spending that kind of money to tune a stock car that ran 16.1 it's best time before the tune. I have no idea what it runs now at the track, I haven't been back, and I may not ever take this car to the track again, but driving it everyday around town and on the highway is way more fun now. It drives the way a front V-8 engine, rear wheel drive car should, with pep on the straightaways and enough power to the rear wheels to help the control around the corners.... way more fun,

and that's what matters.

Don't sweat the numbers, there's always someone out there faster anyway. Are you having fun yet?????

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
timb said:
I'll add one more thought. Regardless of the "number" are you happy with how the car drives now....more throttle response.....quicker revs...etc. If the answer is yes then nothing else matters.
Exactly.

Oh yeah Tim I was down in your neck of the woods last night...I went with my roommate to look at a '92 5-spd GT in Pompano. I-95 sure is lots of fun down there :leftright LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would definately switch to an '02 MAF and new chip. I had EEC problems for awhile after my swap and had to run the stock EEC w/o a chip, and while it runs ok, it's not the same, especially above 3000 rpm.

Also, the PI is still pulling hard above 5000 rpm, whereas my NPI seemed to give out above 4500 rpm. If you are still shifting at your stock levels of 4800-5300, you are missing out on some of your power band. My 1st gear generally shifts between 5600 and 5700 rpm.

I haven't looked up the facts to back up the numbers, but if I remember correct, a '96 GT auto ran high 14's to low 15's, and a '96 Tbird ran mid to high 15's (with some in the 16's) or thereabouts.

If you apply the power/weight logic that a stock Tbird was about 0.75-1 second slower than a stock Stang, then a '99+ PI engine that makes low 14's in a 99+ GT auto, with no extra mods, should be in the 14.8-15.4 range in a Tbird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts