TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
your pic isnt showing up of the eec test connectors. i got a red x. if someone has it saved, post it up please. im gonna attempt to read the codes with a paper clip.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Here is a quote from another thread

You don't need a scanner for an eecIV car.
Just get a piece of wire about 6 inches long with a spade terminal on each end.
The funny shaped pcm connector looks has 2 terminals on top and 4 on the bottom.
Use the top right hole looking at it just like that. Connect that to the pigtail single wire lead that comes off the side of that connector.
Install the wire with the key off. get in the car,turn the key on and watch the check engine light to flash codes.
It will first give a engine ID pulse that should be a fast blink of 3. that just means you have a 6 cylinder engine. "1 pulse for 3cyl,2 pulse for 4cyl,3 pulse for 6cyl,4pulse for v8"
After that pulse it will flash the primary codes (these need fixed first"
then it will give a single seperator pulse and start flashing memory codes.
Alan

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I deleted the picture because Bill took away my member page space. The space is FINALLY back now though, after what feels like a year. I have to find the pic and stick it back in there.
-Thomas

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Install the wire with the key off. get in the car,turn the key on and watch the check engine light to flash codes.
just to confirm, is that:

connect wires with the clip, THEN put key in the ignition, and turn the key to accessories

or

put key in ignition, THEN connect wires, and turn key forward to accessories.

or does it not matter? im being cautious, dont want to screw anything up here.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Putting th ekey in doesn't make much difference. You will have the wires connected before you turn the ignition to the run position. Do not try to start the engine with the terminals jumpered. I've done it and it doesn't hurt anything,but you will not get your codes and the fans,etc...will be cycling improperly.
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Putting the key in doesn't make much difference. You will have the wires connected before you turn the ignition to the run position. Do not try to start the engine with the terminals jumpered. I've done it and it doesn't hurt anything,but you will not get your codes and the fans,etc...will be cycling improperly.
Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts