TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of exhaust system soon and trying to beat shop cost and do it myself .
I Had a quote of 700 800$ for a stainless front to back that's from the manifolds to the back with either two mufflers at the rear or one below the drive shaft .
If I can get mandrel bent premade setup I'll clamp it on and bolt it up and just pay to have it welder after the fact.
I don't see where the rest of the pipe from the x crossover forward is included in these premade setups for 185$ on tru bends. How do I get the rest material and collectors to go right to the 4.6 manifolds everything from the exhaust manifolds to the rear . Seems there's a small portion piping that just has to be fabricated from the crossover to the manifolds if they're assuming people are using cats . I already have cat delete

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Find out if the local shop is going to use mandrel bent pipes. If they are, just let them do it for $800. If they aren’t, find out how much they would charge to install the pre-bent pipes from truebendz. I would charge about $250 at my shop to install the full exhaust if you provided all the pipes and mufflers, and if the exhaust downtube studs come out without breaking, so if they are similar, your best bet may be to buy the truebendz kit and have the shop weld it in.

·
Super Moderator
17,170 Posts
I had a local member weld mine together, but I put it together with the intention of having a shop do it initially. I used various hose clamps, wood blocks to separate the pipes and ducting straps to hold it together as an assembly to take out most of the guess work that adds up the labor hours. Can't speak for the front half, I used something completely different, but they used to offer it, and they presumably still have the jigs on site, so I suggest contacting them to see if they can do it for you, I'm betting they'll have what you need, it just may take more time to get.

The greed of that place is astounding, and shop with a compression bender would make you those for 1/3rd the cost

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Find out if the local shop is going to use mandrel bent pipes. If they are, just let them do it for $800. If they aren’t, find out how much they would charge to install the pre-bent pipes from truebendz. I would charge about $250 at my shop to install the full exhaust if you provided all the pipes and mufflers, and if the exhaust downtube studs come out without breaking, so if they are similar, your best bet may be to buy the truebendz kit and have the shop weld it in.
This is my vote. Or, take the $250 and buy yourself a welder. I was able to get a used lincoln 120V setup for around that price.

-g

·
Banned
575 Posts
I bought my whole kit off scp. I installed it with the car on Jack, hung it enough to drive carefully and had a shop finish up the final welds and welded on hangers..was a dinky side shop but I perfected that for the job,charged me just under 100$ to finish it up. I was very happy with the sound and performance .
I used catless down tubes off stock manifolds ,h pipe ( I don't like the rasp of an x) and back to a set of thrush turbo mufflers, I had Borla and some kind of flowmasters but the drone was unbearable with those

1 - 7 of 7 Posts