TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if using silver solder to braze pieces of exhaust tubing together for your own exhaust system would work? I wouldn't be putting on any flanges, just connecting 2 pieces of exhaust tubing together. Would something like that work, or do you think that the exhaust would get too hot just past the front factory cats (in between the ones on the exhaust manifold and where the 3rd cat usually is located) and cause the brazing to let loose?

Edit: For those that don't know, when I say "silver solder", I'm not talking about the type of solder that is used for soldering components on electronic circuit boards, I'm talking about the type of brazing rods that are used to braze high-pressure hydraulic ends onto steel tubing.

·
TCCoA Preferred Vendor
124 Posts
i would just buy a bolt on system. messing with it on the ground is no fun and it might take a while to do it the way you want to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can't find any bolt-on systems that remove the 3rd cat/resonator, and move the muffler(s) to the middle of the car instead of at the back....i hate having the muffs at the rear of the car, i want just straight tips coming out the back.

anyone know if that might work?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sorry, if you wanna do that it will have to custom fabricated in a shop.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The easiest way would be to get the melting temperature of the silver solder. I used to use it MANY years ago at a company I worked for in Kansas City. It's great stuff and VERY strong. I'd think so long as the melting temp was above the temp you're likely to see in that area, you'd be fine. But you could just as easily take it to be welded nearly anywhere and have a guarantee that it won't come apart. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i found that the silver solder that i have won't start to melt until 1250°F, with a completely liquid form at 1370°F.....i'm pretty sure that the exhaust will not even reach the 1250°F mark. i will probably go ahead and have it welded anyway, i just wanted an opinion on this, in case the local shops will not build me a system that deletes the 3rd cat/resonator.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
A lot of times exhaust shops wont build an exhaust system that deletes cats if they have to take the cats off. If you bring the car in with the cat(s) already removed, chances are they will build what you want. Be sure and ask the shop that is gonna do it for you before you go hacking stuff off though :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts