TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into setting myself up with a home made pressure pot sandblaster http://youtu.be/tIQ5TiWN8XE and a powdercoating setup http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html ($100 HotCoats kit) and an old oven that I can designate as a powdercoating oven.
For the cost of materials it looks like I could get myself into sandblasting and doing my own podwercoating for just over $200 considering I already have an 80gal. compressor and a propane tank I can convert for the pressure pot. The only limits I would have is that I could only PC parts small enough to fit inside of the oven.

I'm curious to see if anybody here has a home shop setup you use. I've never done any PC'ing yet but I am hearing that a DIY'er can achieve great results and it can be done for so cheap
I just took my suspension parts into a powdercoater here locally this week and was quoted $125... The cost for parts to build a DIY setup would almost pay for itself after a couple of uses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've looked into this and found the start up costs are always way more than you think they will be. On the other hand if you feel you will be doing alot of coating then it may be to your benefit to pay these costs to save over the long haul. Hopefully you can get some local customers/friends to do their coating also to make some $ on the side.

Thankfully I have found a very affordable PC shop nearby that works well for me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Go for it. I did. I use the craftsman electric PC gun. Needs no air compressor, it works pretty well. If you plan on stripping paint off parts I suggest getting a dip tank. The factory ford coatings are really tough to get off with a blaster.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cost will end up a little more than I had originally thought, I piad $75 for a brand new oven that the cook top was shattered during shipping... I was hoping to score a free one but ya cant beat the price for new. I do plan on doing a good amount of coating, Ive got family and friends who are looking forward to having a bunch of parts done so if it all works out good then I will advertise on craigslist etc. for a little side $$

Blown38, Are you pretty happy with the electric craftsman coater? I just seen some videos of guys using it and the results turned out very nice but again it's possible the quality isnt the same in person. I have an air compressor so I will be going that route but the elctric looks to be a great alternative.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect little setup for small parts. I am going to try it this weekend on some bolts I was planning on wire brushing since I dont have the sandblaster done yet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the start of the media blaster... so far it's been all scrap metal and an old propane tank I had and about 3 hours of work to put it together. Just need to plumb and paint it then it will be ready to go. It seems like it will be a little on the small side so if I find myself having to refill the pot with media alot then I plan to build a lager version and sell this one, but time will tell.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've done very well with the craftsman. Its just hard to get a 3rd coat of powder to stick. But think I have that figured out. What I do is get the color changed out while the part is baking then pull the part out and let it cool for a few minutes depending on the part size and density. And lay the 3rd coat on while the part is warm.

Sorry to pic bomb your thread. Take your time and clean with acetone before you spray the powder. You'll love the results. I've been thinking of picking up one of the dual voltage hotcoat guns.

·
Registered
240 Posts
And this is the reason I wanted to get into powdercoating! It makes everything stand out and looks amazing. You do great work. Thanks for the tips, I might be coming to you for more info when I get setup if that's alright with you.

What kind of oven are you using to cure these parts with?

·
Registered
623 Posts
No problem. Oven is a freebee.:D Just a standard electric kitchen oven. I use mostly eastwood powders. The last pic the blue is http://powderbuythepound.com ford wrinkle blue. That stuff was hard to get right think I coated it 3 times. Most of the parts I posted are 3 stage. A chrome base like on the pulley then a translucent color then cleared. If you want to do the recessed lettering a different color than the main part, invest in a lint roller.;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When doing 3 stage jobs, are you completely curing each stage or pulling it out before its fully cured and applying the next stage? And the lint roller tip sounds great, I seen a video on youtube where a guy was using a paint brush to get the powder off surrounding the recessed areas.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Partial cure. With the paint brushes you have to worry about the bristles getting down in the letters. The roller will never get down there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts