TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its kind of a silly question but... do i have traction control?

I dont see any buttons to turn it on/off so i figured i didnt have it, is that right?

·
5,650 Posts
eg0r said:
there is no button for it
Wrong. If you have traction control, you will have a module under the radio with several indicator lights on it. The traction control button on/off switch will be on the left side that module. It is on by default, but since you don't know if you have it, it's safe to say you don't because you wouldn't be able to miss that button.

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
eg0r said:
i dont have that button but i thought my bird had it anyways
o well, you learn something new every day i guess :p
Traction control and a Trac-Loc diff are two different things.

-Rod

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Since we're talking traction control...

Does the MN12 traction control retard the engine timing while applying the rear brakes the same as the Gen II Mark VIII's, or is it identical to the Gen I's and only apply the brakes?

(That is how the Gen I's work... right...???) :zwall:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
master486 said:
Wrong. If you have traction control, you will have a module under the radio with several indicator lights on it. The traction control button on/off switch will be on the left side that module. It is on by default, but since you don't know if you have it, it's safe to say you don't because you wouldn't be able to miss that button.
Thanks. Speaking of that module, i was thinking of taking that out and putting in a 1/2 din equalizer and 1/2 din cup holders. But then if one of my idiot lights pop on i wouldnt know :(

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Since we're talking traction control...

Does the MN12 traction control retard the engine timing while applying the rear brakes the same as the Gen II Mark VIII's, or is it identical to the Gen I's and only apply the brakes?

(That is how the Gen I's work... right...???) :zwall:
The MN12 setup just applies the rear brakes, it doesn't retard the ignition timing.

-Rod

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the Gen I Marks are the same way. I know the Gen II's retard the timing (or at least that is what the manual says) and applies the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Gen 1 Marks are brakes only.... and it doesn't work if there's something wrong with ABS.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
doodaa said:
Gen 1 Marks are brakes only.... and it doesn't work if there's something wrong with ABS.
Do they stop applying the brakes when they see the end of wheel spin?

The Gen II's keep retarding the timing for I think something like 5 to 10 seconds even if it sees no wheel spin... :bawling:

At the drag strip that equates to:
Low 15's with traction control off (and wheel spin.... :bawling: )
Low 17's with the traction control on (but no wheel spin!!!.... :beek: )

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
MN12 TBird/Cougar is low speed only, brakes. I know the Panthers got all speed in 1998, my 2000 Grand Marquis has it and I have filled the exhaust full of gas a few times on slick roads and playing around.

From looking at the owners manuals, 96/97 Thunderbird/Cougar are low speed (rear brakes), 96 the button in in the information panel, 97 the button is in the console. Mark VIII for 98 shows it being brakes and engine management.

98 Mark VIII
TRACTION CONTROL
Your vehicle is equipped with the Traction Control system. This system helps maintain the stability and steerability of your vehicle. It is especially useful on slippery and/or hilly road surfaces. The system operates at all speeds by detecting and controlling wheel spin. The system borrows many of the electronic and mechanical elements already present in the anti-lock braking system (ABS).
Wheel-speed sensors allow excess rear wheel spin to be detected by the Traction Control portion of the ABS computer. Any excessive wheel spin is controlled by automatically applying and releasing the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reductions. Engine torque reduction is realized via the fully electronic spark and fuel injection systems. This process is very sensitive to driving conditions and very fast acting. The rear wheels “search” for optimum traction several times a second and adjustments are made accordingly.
97 Cougar
Traction AssistTM (If equipped)
Your vehicle may be equipped with the optional Traction AssistTM system. This system helps prevent wheel spin in order to improve tire traction and is an especially useful feature when you drive in hilly areas or on slippery, icy or snowy roads.
Traction AssistTM works automatically by rapidly applying and releasing the brakes to prevent one or both of the rear drive wheels from spinning during acceleration.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Has anyone added traction control to there bird?? I'm looking at the EVTM and the non-TC and TC-ABS systems are identical. Looks like adding the module and the switch panel allows you to add traction control.

I know I got a TC switch panel and I installed it on my 96' Bird and the light says off without changing the module. Have to goto the junkyard and get a TC module.

·
5,650 Posts
SplitPortBird said:
Has anyone added traction control to there bird?? I'm looking at the EVTM and the non-TC and TC-ABS systems are identical. Looks like adding the module and the switch panel allows you to add traction control.

I know I got a TC switch panel and I installed it on my 96' Bird and the light says off without changing the module. Have to goto the junkyard and get a TC module.
Check this out.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Do they stop applying the brakes when they see the end of wheel spin?
Can't answer that directly but I do know my ETs were more consistent last year at SSHS5 with the TC on... definitely recovers better than a Gen II. :D

If I had to guess I'd say it lays off as soon as the tire stops spinning since that's the behavior I'd expect from the ABS. My EVTM is at home but I'm pretty sure the ABS compares the speed of all 4 wheels in order to determine if it needs to activate. Early TC could be just a subset of that for the rear wheels... again that's a guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts