TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, on freeway speeds (on or off the freeway), my car and my steering wheel tends to vibrate kinda a lot, compared to my parent's cars. Well, could it be that I need my wheels aligned? If I let go of the wheel, it'll slowly drift to the right.

Should I just do the front wheels? How much am I looking @ for an alignment? How about balancing?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blown94SC said:
I just paid 108 for a 4 wheel align and tire rotation and balance.

Jim Long
Do you think the symptons I mention are due to bad alignment?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Definitely get your wheels balanced and like Jim says, get a 4 wheel alignment to take care of the pull, (assuming you've made sure your tire pressures are equal). Be sure the shop knows what they're doing with the T-Bird IRS - a lot of them don't know how to align the rear wheels correctly, especially when it comes to the top camber adjustment. Also, if you can find a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700, that's the absolute best way to get your wheels balanced. It rotates the tires against an 800 lb. rotating force, and can tell if the tire needs to be repositioned on the rim because of varying stiffness, etc. It will often take care of vibrations that standard wheel balancing won't.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blown94SC, did you have any of the symptoms as described above? If you did, did the balance/alignment fix it?

As for taking it to a right place, do you think Sears would be qualified to do it? Or should I look for a mom and pop shop?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm not sure about Sears - I'd talk to whoever would be doing the alignment and be sure they know how to do a T-Bird correctly. Especially ask them how they set the camber in the rear, (upper adjusting bolt) - don't let them just say "Yeah, we can do it".

I'm lucky enough to have a shop nearby whose owner has a custom T-Bird SC, and they also have a Hunter GSP9700 for balancing - it's the only place I'll let touch my cars...

·
Registered
610 Posts
WaLieN said:
Blown94SC, did you have any of the symptoms as described above? If you did, did the balance/alignment fix it?

As for taking it to a right place, do you think Sears would be qualified to do it? Or should I look for a mom and pop shop?
I wouldn't take a go-cart to sears for a tire change let alone an alignment. Go to someone who will do it right and as the place who is the most knowledgeable. I took my car to a local shop, the tech has over 20 years experience. I had to fix my car due to a busted rack. But with that I also made an adjustment to the rear upper control arms to correct a negative camber adjustment when I lowered my car. The upper adjuster couldn't bring it all in.

Good Luck

Jim Long

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would guess your car needs an alignment, and a balance bad. Your front tires may be out of round also.

I agree, Sears is NOT the place to take it. They will find worn parts on a brand new car that need replaced.

I made up this page a few months ago to help those that have lowered there cars, and can't get the Camber adjusted correctly. It will help you to understand what is done during the alingment, and how to fix it if lowered.

http://www.geocities.com/mn12bird/

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
392Bird said:
I would guess your car needs an alignment, and a balance bad. Your front tires may be out of round also.

I agree, Sears is NOT the place to take it. They will find worn parts on a brand new car that need replaced.

I made up this page a few months ago to help those that have lowered there cars, and can't get the Camber adjusted correctly. It will help you to understand what is done during the alingment, and how to fix it if lowered.

http://www.geocities.com/mn12bird/
I've asked around, and no one knows of any places that do it very well. Are there *ANY* major chains you'd reccomend? If not, I'll look harder.

·
Registered
610 Posts
WaLieN said:

I've asked around, and no one knows of any places that do it very well. Are there *ANY* major chains you'd reccomend? If not, I'll look harder.

You've got to be kidding...You live in San Diego and can't find anyone? Open a phone book.

Jim Long

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not that I can't find anyone, there ares tons of places, it's just I don't know which ones are skilled at doing IRS.

·
Registered
610 Posts
WaLieN said:
It's not that I can't find anyone, there ares tons of places, it's just I don't know which ones are skilled at doing IRS.

Alright you can't call and ask? Can't go to the shop and talk to the folks? Look you take it where you want but....If you don't research this then you get what you pay for. Nobody here can do this for you. Sometimes ya just got to get off the couch and do a little looking on your own.

Jim Long

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the wheel alignment and balancing doesn't take care of the vibration, you might want to look at the U- joints. I had a problem with a vibration between 45 and 65mph and after front end alignment and new tires it was still there. I then had a mechanic tell me to check the U-joints because one might be bound up instead of loose. The vibration came from the U-joint not wanting to turn like its supposed to. So I changed it and no more vibration. And it didn't cost a whole lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts