TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I want to rid my car of the charcoal canister and the metal hardline that runs to the shock tower/valve cover, and plug the vac nipple on the backside of the upper intake (97 bird 4.6 here). I have a basic idea what its there for, but do I REALLY Need it? Will it affect emmissions pass or fail? The car is pretty much a weekend driver now/street race/drag race car. I put a tad over 10K on it in the last year, and about 25K total in 2.5 years.

Will it throw a engine light or a code more importantly?

Chris

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got a clue?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'll take a stab at it:

Do you need it? No
Will it pass emissions? Probably yes except in CA (How strict are OH emissions?) :D
Will it throw a code? I think so, but not 100% sure.

It doesn't hurt or hinder performance in any way, so why worry about it? The weight savings would be negligible, and it only pulls the fumes from the gas tank into it. Those fumes would have to go somewhere if you remove it. I don’t know about you, but I like the fumes going into the canister. Keeps them nice and safe and away from sparks. :D

Just my .02 and maybe someone else will chime in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
It will definately throw a code....1443....Check engine light really bothers me...I don't know about you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
it will turn on the light because when the purge solenoid opens to let the cannister vapors enter system, the flow sensor will not sense any flow.. do not remove the cannister..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet thats all i wanted to know. Chris

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Here's it's description of operation from the 1997 Service Manual:

Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve
The evaporative emission canister purge valve (EVAP canister purge valve) (9C915):

--is in-line with the evaporative emissions canister (EVAP canister) (9D653) and controls the flow of fuel vapors out of the evaporative emissions canister.

--is normally closed.

When the engine is shut OFF, vapors from the fuel tank (9002) flow into the evaporative emissions canister. After the engine is started, the evaporative emission canister purge valve is engaged and opens, drawing air through the evaporative emissions canister which purges the fuel vapors from the evaporative emissions canister into the engine. With the evaporative emission canister purge valve open, vapors from the fuel tank are routed directly into the engine.

From what I read in the manual, it's there as part of a Federal requirement:

Evaporative Emission Control System
As a part of the fuel system, all vehicles are equipped with fuel vapor evaporative emission control systems to meet federal requirements in effect at the time of production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts