TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is gonna sound like a dumb question.
But I wanna install an transmission cooler in my 97 bird v6.
Would I have to drain the fluid first?
Also for extra transmission fluid, do I have to go to a ford dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's not a dumb question.

No, you don't have to drain the tranny. It'll lose some fluid but you can easily top it off again. ATF can be purchased at any auto parts store and a awful lot of department stores. Just check your owners manual for what type fluid it requires. It'll say something like Dexron or Mercron and a number, usually a Roman numeral.

When I stick in an aftermarket cooler for the tranny I plug the hoses/lines with cone shaped plugs. Mine are rubber but you can use almost anything. I have heard of golf tees being used before :) When all is ready to hook up, just pull the plug out of the line/hose and hook it up. Next, start the engine and without moving the car, run the gear selector through the range of gears slowly one time at idle. Shut the car back off, check for leaks. Restart the car if there are no leaks and check your tranny fluid level. It might need about a pint unless you spilled a lot or got a really big cooler.

·
Registered
801 Posts
whats the best tranny cooler for a 95 v6, and where can i purchase it???

thanks for the help guys

Marvin M.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Summitracing.com, b&m supercooler, 24000 gvwr, $49ish

·
Registered
801 Posts
thanks dude.

Marvin m.

·
Registered
246 Posts
advantages?

What are the advantages to having a tranny cooler??
I have a good tranny shop in mind and would consider this if it is a beneficial thing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes. First off, a majority of transmission troubles stem from heat. Second, our trannys are known for getting very hot, which is, of course, bad. (a good trans operating temp is 170-189 degrees. Without a trans cooler, our trannys will can hit 210 and higher with extended use) It becomes more even more vital to add the cooler when you start modding the trans (trans-mod, higher stall tc, etc). It helps extend the life of the trans, which is very nice, because its rather expensive to replace a transmission (i know, because i just had mine replaced to the tune of 2k!)
Last, the trans cooler is not hard at all to install, even with little or no mechanical abilty, it should still be a snap.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cooler is better to a point, too cool and the fluid doesn't reach operating temperature and you're right back in the toilet. It's possible that the earlier post suggested a smaller cooler simply because it fit the car better. Physical size of the cooler can have an impact becuase if it's too big it just won't fit the car :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
That and the 24000 unit is the biggest that comes with fittings. Buy the 28000 and you'll have to supply your own hoses, fittings, mounting equipment, the works. Thats why Whitebird always recommends the 24000 unit...

·
Registered
726 Posts
no, shouldn't be, but you will have to f*** around with fittings. the 24000 is more then sufficent, and comes with everything (almost) that you need. and its cheeper to boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts