TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do the strut rod bushings (MOOG K8680 and K8659) come in pairs? (i.e. do I need to order 1 or 2 of each to do the whole car?). They are $20.79 and $36.79, respectively, from Rock auto.

I read a ton of old posts on this and it seems that most of the posters had bad LCA to strut rod bushings. Has anyone had the OEM strut rod to K-member bushings fail? (I know about the MOOG failures)

Lastly, has anyone ever found out if the LCA's for the Mark VIII are the same as the T-Bird? The T-Bird ones are 1/2 the price. Any concensus on this?

Thanks,
Calvin

97 Mark VIII LSC
03 Navigator Ultimate

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Well when you buy them from ford you get in one package 2 fronts of the LCA and you need to buy the rears too they also come in a pair. So when you buy them you have to order one set for the front and one for the back and it will take care of the 2 strut rod ends that go through the LCA. As for the moog ones i really dont know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt,

Does anyone know about the MOOG's from Rock Auto. I just want to be sure before I order that I'm getting the correct stuff.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
IIRC, i think the difference in price is because of the material they are constucted of, the mark's control arms, i believe are aluminum, the thunderbird's is not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the part numbers are MOOG K8680 and K8659.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
the moog strut rod to frame bushings are a whole kit for the front

i bought TRW strut rod to LCA individually.. so i don't know there, but i think thats a set as well

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
well.. i did.. but i used the stock "washers" instead of the small **** they give you..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought these failures were attributed to using the 3" long sleeve -vs- the 2.75" version???

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
"I thought these failures were attributed to using the 3" long sleeve -vs- the 2.75" version???"

Even with the "fix" they only lasted 2 months at best on Cougie. I do take the car to the extremes in the mountain turns so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
seems better off just getting oem ones

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
calviroman said:
I thought these failures were attributed to using the 3" long sleeve -vs- the 2.75" version???
read further into it....the ones that are failing are on the driver side right under both power steering and transmission fluid lines, how do i know this? 2 bushings blew out in under 6 months. Its the thermoplastic that is a problem.

joseph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess the key is to insure that the bushings stay free of oil based products?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts