TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car the guy told me had flowmaster mufflers put on. I was under there yesterday, but they don't look like flowmasters to me. Especially that side inlet ?? But if I knew what I was talking about I wouldnt ask.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I've been looking for that style muffler for a while. If someone can identify them, it would be great. That (physical) style is perfect for the MN12/FN10.

I thought they were for a Vette, but I could never find them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking at the Flowmaster cat back system on summit. I realize that the muffler is upside down on the passenger side. That's why I couldn't see the word Flowmaster on it. I didn't want to crawl under the snow drift side. But I did now. Sure enough Flowmaster. Woo Hoo. Something else for the sig.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I just recently gave away a set exactly like those. They looked like they were 2 quiet so I didn't want em. How do they sound?

·
Registered
124 Posts
That is the flowmaster Cat back system for our birds. had it on my 93 with a 3.8L wayyyy too much Tin can sound for me i think it was because it mounts the muffler soo far back and the 90 degree inlet probably dosent help much with the Rasp. the only time the car sounded like it had flowmasters on it was at WOT IMO not the best set up. and not worth the 400 some odd dollars they get for the kit ither. But just my .02

And they do say Flowmaster on them . its just written on the top of them. the only good thing i could say was that i liked the 45degree outlets from the mufflers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ill put up a sound clip tomorrow! I just got a new battery today so I can install the big three and new alt and batt tomorrow. And it will be ALIVE once more!

I'm thinking that the 3.8 and 5.0 sound a lil different, cause I dont think it sounds raspy. Then again It's all a matter of opinion. I dont know what they sounded like before but they sound pretty good to me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres the clip I promised :

·
Registered
110 Posts
It looks like the "force II" system from flowmaster. That was the first exhaust i had on my 97 years ago before upgrading and doing custom exhaust 3 more times after it! Good sound but too quiet for some. The final system we built for the car and i now have sitting in the garage sounded like a race car! A lot louder than the flowmaster kit.

·
Registered
748 Posts
After looking at the Flowmaster cat back system on summit. I realize that the muffler is upside down on the passenger side. That's why I couldn't see the word Flowmaster on it. I didn't want to crawl under the snow drift side. But I did now. Sure enough Flowmaster. Woo Hoo. Something else for the sig.
No offense but, junk---junk---junk. Had that system on my '97 CAT and sounded ok....but they only lasted about 2 years before one of the baffels in the passenger side came loose and would intermitently block the tail pipe and choke the engine. It happened once when it was being J-tuned on dyno and made 78 hp because of that and sounded horrible. J-man thought he broke my car. Scrapped them and went with Dynomax Ultra Flos (with a lifetime warranty) and sounds 10 times better.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've been looking for that style muffler for a while. If someone can identify them, it would be great. That (physical) style is perfect for the MN12/FN10.

I thought they were for a Vette, but I could never find them.
Wish I could find the pics of mine....fit and pipes flow better than that system.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Judging from the sound the only thing that comes to mind is "That's a 5.0?" It sounds like a V6. The myths are true, Flowmaster does suck....for MN12's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the kit from Flowmaster: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17111. The mufflers are specific to our cars and for this kit. I almost bought this for my car. All the bad reviews lead me to buy the Dynomax kit instead: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17379/. I love the sound. It took a couple thousand miles to burn in. Low mellow tone when cruising, louder when you get on it and no drone on the highway. I can still hear my radio. It took a little bit of work to get it to fit and get everything lined up, but overall was an easy install.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that they will sound alot better with high flow cats, headers,x-pipe, true dual pipes and new stainless mufflers :)

But this video doesnt do them justice. It's just a camera not a camcorder. And the rest is factory stock on 193k.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think that they will sound alot better with high flow cats, headers,x-pipe, true dual pipes and new stainless mufflers :)

But this video doesnt do them justice. It's just a camera not a camcorder. And the rest is factory stock on 193k.
It will, true duals is the way to go, I have heard multiple Y pipe setups with mufflers and personally I think they just aren't as deep sounding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts