Votes: 47 77.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prompted by a reply in another post. It seems like 1/2 the people I run into have tow hitches on their MN12's, far more than on any other type of mid-sized car I've seen.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I deffinetely wouldn't of put it on my car back when it was stock. I can't even see the v6 towing anything... Although now it probably could tow some stuff. but it's not a utility vehicle.
-Thomas

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
no thanks, don't want any extra weight on these sleds.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I tow both a Jet-ski, and a utility trailer with mine. The class II hitch is barely noticeable without the ball attached.

I have towed up to 1500 lbs. with the utility trailer.

·
Registered
627 Posts
:eek: A hitch on a Thunderbird! That's almost like heat massage lumbar seats in my Bronco! No!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it isn't so.

:zsoapbox: Ford owners of America... unite! Free your Thunderbirds from the bondage of utilitarian life.... buy a large SUV or pickup! Your Thunderbird deserves liberty and freedom!

Besides.... compared to the tons of weight I can tow with my Bronco, and still get 14 mpg, I have to ask myself "why would you sully such a beautiful car with a hitch?"

OK... off soapbox, back into reality. While the MN12 Thunderbird is a venerable car, I think even towing light - med loads with it could prove to be a bad thing for the car in the long run. We all know about the tranny's, the suspensions have a whole bunch of links and bushings, and there are all kinds of joints in the drivetrain. Lot of parts to put a strain on, in my opinion. Compared to a half ton or better truck/SUV, I think towing on these could be a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't agree with you at all.

I have towed my Jet-ski's with my T-Bird since I bought it in 1996.

Have also used my utility trailer to haul stuff around. (including gravel)

Currently have 197,000 miles

NO tranny cooler. No MerconV until around the 140,000 mile mark.

Original hubs and bearings.

Original bushings (except for strut rod)

Original springs and shocks on front (upgraded rears to Sport at 130,000 ish miles)

Original motor and tranny (no rebuilds)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
I don't agree with you at all.
That's cool dude. Not many people do. Stop by, and we can take turns towing each other to Canada until someones vehicle fails. I'll tow you to Canada, and you can tow my 6000 lb Bronco back down. :)

I don't think the designers had towing in mind for these cars. My opinion. Looking at the parts on my Bronco, compared to my Thunderbird, I have to agree. And my Bronco is rated to pull "light-medium" loads. I can't imagine driving my Thunderbird with 4000lbs of stuff behind it. I've done that to my Bronco (from North Carolina to San Diego California).

Once again... just my opinion. If you have towed 2+ tons 3000+ miles on one trip with your Thunderbird, and nothing broke, maybe you can change my opinion. Until then, I think trucks are for towing and Thunderbirds are for being all around bad a** cars.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
DanQ;

My last post was referring to the last paragraph of your first post.

I would not expect a T-Bird to out-tow a Bronco, that wasn't my point.

My point is that towing per the limits (2000lbs, and 200 tongue) is not bad for your car. I have towed up to 1500 lbs, without the car so much as "sneezing.
Yes, you can feel the weight a LITTLE when braking.

When I tow my jet-ski (700lb three seater) I don't even know the it's there.

SO if towing is so bad for our car, then how have I gotten to 197,000 miles, with almost all of the original components?

·
Registered
659 Posts
yea i have one on mine, used to tow my boat with it:D , 15 ft tri hull w/ 80 hp merc.

now it is just a good jacking point, real easy to jack up the back of the car. who knows i might tow my harley around with it if i need to, probably not, but hey its nice to have options.

Mike

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The heaviest thing I have towed with the bird was a 1968 Jag on a complete roll on car trailer. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of that somewhere

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i have never towed anything with either cougars or birds that i have had, thats what trucks are for! and rolling thunder my 96 f150 has lumbar and i love it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well some of us dont have the luxuary of owning a second vehicle like a TRUCK. Ive towed a U-haul 1500 miles from Fort Eustis Virgina, and also towed a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII 600 miles from Topeka Kansas no problems as of yet. You cant really tell I have a hitch on it unless you really look for it..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts