TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so im trying to convince my friend to buy a 97 cougar xr7, 4.6 with 130000 miles. It needs some tlc, an ac compressor and serpentine belt. I told him that and he said he doesn't use the ac anyway so my question is can you delete the compressor all together? I believe there are ac deletes on the forum but do you still need the compressor to work or atleast spin because the serpentine goes over it right?

·
Super Moderator
9,134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
It also drops a bunch of weight off the nose of the car, which helps.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I would be leery of buying a car w/o A/C. I mean, what else did the PO skimp on?

Straight out of the gate, you need to buy something to make the car operational to even test drive it, WTF?

PASS!

Al

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea im leary about it to but my friend dont seem to mind and i probably did to good of a job talking him into a cougar or tbird haha, but we test drove it once before the compressor froze up and snapped the serpentine, seemed to drive fine for someone else's car. Its used so i told him wed have to go through it anyway

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Did the compressor seize while AC was on? If the compressor seized the pulley should still spin as long as A/C is off or the coil is unplugged, if the pulley seized you could replace just it without deleting A/C

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The owner said the ac wasn't on. So we could just replace the serpentine and disconnect something and itll run?

·
Super Moderator
9,134 Posts
Just an FYI in case it applies, but the A/C compressor will cycle to keep the evaporator cold in all modes on the climate control head except off, panel, or floor. The only time it wouldn't run in the other modes is if the ambient temperature is below 35 or 40 degrees (low temperatures decrease the pressure in the system, and the low pressure cycling switch stays open).

I remember some 10 years ago that I had the system on defrost, and the compressor seized up on me while driving home on the freeway late at night. Didn't do anything to the serpentine belt but it sure fried the clutch and bearings!

As far as your question - disconnect the electrical connection at the A/C clutch and you needn't worry about it engaging and locking up again.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
If the bearings are siezed and the compressor is too, then it will break the belt.

See if the pulley spins with the belt off; if so, you can do the power connection thing.

If it doesn't spin, you have to fix it, or get the bypass pulley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts