TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stupid topic lol, I am looking to buy a used 4x4 pickup around the $4000 range sometime soon...i know its not much but its all i could work with... What do yall recommended? Strickly ford? or dodge? chevy? lol

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Friend bought a 1996 F250 4X4 with 351 for $3500. Had I seen it before him I would have bought it. Body and interior look very good.

I have a 1995 300 I6 f150, bought it for $1500. Was a huge pain getting it registered, took nearly 2 years...It'd be the perfect truck but it's only 2wd

·
̇
3,702 Posts
That's kind of a funny topic..I mean since a lot of us that own a Thunderbird/Cougar also own a pick-up..

Specifically an F150.. :D

My vote is for a 97-and up F150..The 4.6 is great in these!

If you plan on doing a lot of towing..You might think about the 5.4 instead..

Good luck!

Rayo..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry for the stupid topic lol, I am looking to buy a used 4x4 pickup around the $4000 range sometime soon...i know its not much but its all i could work with... What do yall recommended? Strickly ford? or dodge? chevy? lol
i got a 2000 v6 silverado. The only major thing that I had to replace...fuel injectors. It's one large unit that abt $300 and the fuel pump. At 180,xxx still rollin.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I had a 99 f150, I replaced every part in the front end including the steering shaft, The exhaust fell off it twice, the third time it was going to cost $1000 in parts to replace all the front pipe including the cats. In the 14 months I owned it the truck had every "Oh... Those Fords are known for that." problem you could ever imagine. I still could have forgiven all that if it didn't have such a terrible driveline vibration that couldn't be solved.

It was a comfortable truck, lots of room inside, I liked the dash layout even though it was the same shape and color as a peanut.

I had the 4.2v6 I was impressed by the power, lmao... The truck wasn't fast by any means but I had just driven a Chevette for a year and the truck felt like a fire breathing monster...

I think the next truck I buy will say GMC on the grille. but you just never know.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've been looking to buy a truck for when the weather decides to take a crap, Even now with the converter and gears my car has horrible fraction in the rain let alone the snow lol... My loan amount is $4,000 and i am looking into sum f150s....92-96 or 97-04 within the price range. V8 preferably... I don't think I will ever tow anything but you never know...mostly use it to haul my atvs and motorcycle.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
drive an '11 F150 with the Coyote. It's stupid quick for a truck.
Truthfully I'll probably be shopping for one of those sometime in the future... Like 2026 or so when they hit my price range :D up until then it would just be depressing to drive one.

If I was shopping for a $4000 truck today I'd probably be looking at a 92-96 F150 with either a 300I6 and a standard or a 351 with any transmission. Don't get me wrong I think the 302 is a great engine I just think it's better suited to a car.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I like my truck but it will need more work done to it eventually to make it a more suitable tow rig. Mine is a Canadian 7,700gvw f150 with the tow package and it gets out of it's way ok, I just want bigger wheels/tires/brakes/multiplate TC/larger trans cooler/larger radiator/winch/off road flood lights behind the grill/replace the grill surround with a chrome replacement for a 02 f150/tow reverse lights under the rear bumper/5 piece cab marker light setup etc... and I'll be more then content with it. Obviously my f150 has a general purpose of Thunderbird tow/recovery vehicle. Maybe after the Mrs. gets a job after we move I'll be able to afford to work on it more lol. I also have PI heads and a PI truck intake ready to go on but that will be close to last on the upgrade list.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think a Ranger would fit the bill. They are reliable, fun to drive but not so good at moving people. I had a single cab 2WD and had a blast with it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My truck is an '11 F-150 with the EcoBoost, but that's way out of your budget range LOL. Seriously, the Ranger is a very dependable truck, although my truck probably gets better mileage than the 3.0 & 4.0 V6s in the Ranger ;)

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
What are you going to use the truck for? That plays a bit into what I would recommend. I am not a fan of any of the smaller trucks. They are not that more fuel efficient than a full size and they IMO are not as reliable as well as not as easy to work on. If you are looking for an all around decent truck, a 4.6L Ford in the 1997 - 2002 year range. If you are going to put the truck to work, a 5.4L Ford or 5.3L Chevy in the same time frame. I would not recommend a Dodge or Toyota unless you don't mind fuel hogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I also have PI heads and a PI truck intake ready to go on but that will be close to last on the upgrade list.
Truck PI intake as in the "car style " or the big ol' dual plenum "truck style" intake?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just picked up a 94 f250 extended cab longbed 4x4 7.3 turbo diesel. That international engine will run forever and haul a house while doing it

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yeah I've been looking to buy a truck for when the weather decides to take a crap, Even now with the converter and gears my car has horrible fraction in the rain let alone the snow lol... My loan amount is $4,000 and i am looking into sum f150s....92-96 or 97-04 within the price range. V8 preferably... I don't think I will ever tow anything but you never know...mostly use it to haul my atvs and motorcycle.
Truthfully I'll probably be shopping for one of those sometime in the future... Like 2026 or so when they hit my price range :D up until then it would just be depressing to drive one.

If I was shopping for a $4000 truck today I'd probably be looking at a 92-96 F150 with either a 300I6 and a standard or a 351 with any transmission. Don't get me wrong I think the 302 is a great engine I just think it's better suited to a car.
I entirely agree, the 300 has as much stock torque as a 351 and it comes lower in the powerband. In high school after I crashed my car, I drove a 1989 F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the 300 and M5OD that my dad bought new in June of 1989. Its a great truck and I put a crap ton of miles on it during that time with zero problems whatsoever. The title will be in my name the minute my Thunderbird stops breaking and I have enough cash to plunk into his hand.

The Thunderbird with my Mustang and the F-150.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Truck PI intake as in the "car style " or the big ol' dual plenum "truck style" intake?
Currently I have one car PI intake, one truck PI intake, and a Bullitt Intake. I haven't decided which to use.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts