TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stopped using my local repair shop for oil changes because they use filters without a drain back valve.

I've heard places like Jiffy Lube are notorious for scams, and poor service.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I prefer to do it myself. I don't trust anyone with any of my cars.

I have to interview a shop before I'd let them work on any of my cars lol, if they don't like it I'll take my business elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I only take cars under warranty to those kinds of places!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Jurgin did my last oil change! :)

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
last time i did my oil change my kids were distracting me and I forgot to put the drain plug back in... didnt notice till I was 3 quarts in refilling it...lol I was so p!$$ed at myself... 20 bucks worth of oil dumped on the driveway. I had to go buy more.lol

I used to go to walmart, until they ruined my little cousins motor in her mazda. First they didnt put the fill cap back on and the engine was covered in oil, then when she brought it back to them they gave her a free oil change and a new oil fill cap to make it right. This time they didn't tighten the drain plug, and it fell out while my cousin was driving. All the oil drained out and bye-bye motor. Had it towed to the nearest shop and they showed my cousin what happened. When we went back to walmart they said they weren't obligated to put a new motor in because we took it to another shop first and had no proof that it was walmart that did the damage since someone touched it after them. :mad:

They cant get my car on their lift anyway. too low

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
last time i did my oil change my kids were distracting me and I forgot to put the drain plug back in... didnt notice till I was 3 quarts in refilling it...lol I was so p!$$ed at myself... 20 bucks worth of oil dumped on the driveway. I had to go buy more.lol

I used to go to walmart, until they ruined my little cousins motor in her mazda. First they didnt put the fill cap back on and the engine was covered in oil, then when she brought it back to them they gave her a free oil change and a new oil fill cap to make it right. This time they didn't tighten the drain plug, and it fell out while my cousin was driving. All the oil drained out and bye-bye motor. Had it towed to the nearest shop and they showed my cousin what happened. When we went back to walmart they said they weren't obligated to put a new motor in because we took it to another shop first and had no proof that it was walmart that did the damage since someone touched it after them. :mad:

Lawsuit...

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
It took my local walmart 5 swaps after the original mounting, to get the directional tires AND rims correct.

Bless their heart!

:D

·
Registered
531 Posts
I take my vehicles to one of the few full service gas stations left in existence about halfway to Columbia.

I buy my tires there and they give free rotations to folks that buy their tires from them.

They added a third bay for alignments last year.

It never takes them more than 90 minutes and I have to drive a little farther than I would like on a Saturday, but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I ussually know the people who are going to do any work on my car on a personal level and have witnessed their work in the past. In conclusion, trust isn't really an issue. The issue for me is really time and expense.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Ouch

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I haven't taken a car in to have the oil changed in a long time. I won 5 free oil changes at a chain place. I took my 81 Fairmont in. They briefly mentioned it was 3 quarts low on oil. They only drained the small sump ::sigh::. They then filled it to very bottom mark on the dipstick, this was long before the free top offs that most places provide now, but a common practice, leaving them usually 1 quart low, who checks oil, let alone take it back (amongst those that would take a vehicle in for oil change in the first place).

I prefer to change my own oil, lets me get under the car and check suspension, leaks, etc. Other than poor placement of filter and some sort of leak, I rarely get dirty, warm the vehicle up, let it drain until it is a very thin thread, 20 minutes start to finish. I usually do multiple cars at the same time (my Grand Marquis gets 22~25,000 miles a year, but Mark VIII only 7~9k, and 89 Cougar 3k).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doh! Funny thing is, just last Saturday I was showing my son how to change the oil in our new-to-us T-Bird and as I was reinstalling the drain plug, I told him the same story how I did that same thing once back in the '80s. Only takes once...:D

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Ive always done it myself. Not because its cheaper (it usually cost more for me to do it) but because I know its always done right, and I know the oil and filter I use are always top notch, who knows what kind of crap they use at those 10 minute oil change places.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Sure, Rob changes the oil in mine everytime he rebuilds the engine. lol

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I do it myself, mostly because I mistrust the industry. I work in the industry I know exactly what kind of filters we use and where the oil comes from. I'd rather run the oil and filters I know will last. All 3 of my vehicles right now are running mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 with mobil 1 oil filters.

I don't buy into those super extended intervals either. I run my trucks (1996 GMC Sierra XC Long Bed 7.4L and 1997 Ford F150 XC Short Bed 4.6L) 5.000 on the oil. I change the oil in the bird which is now a weekend toy and strip queen every year, I change the oil filters (dual filters) the night before a race and top it off out of an old habit/ritual and drive the car maybe 3,000 miles a year if that. This year I'll be surprised if I put on 1,000 miles and I'll still change the oil in it at the same time.

That's just me though. Do what you feel comfortable with. My daily drivers do a lot more than just highway cruising or stop and go, both of my trucks tow regularly. I service my transmissions myself every 30,000. Powersteering every 20,000. Gearboxes every 30,000. All using full synthetic. I flushed the brakes on all 3 using DOT 5.1 about a year ago and change the fluid every time I need brakes.

Just about every other service I do on as needed basis.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I did my own oil changes on my previous two thunderbirds...With the Mustang, I think I had three or four oil changes in the seven months I owned it....The F150 has had one so far, when it had 1000 miles on it, it's due again at 5000, and then it will be every 5000 from that point forward.

With the Mustang and the truck, I am letting the dealership do it, but only because I work there, I know who is doing it, what they are using, and because it's under warrantee, and I would like to keep a file of service history for a while. That, and I really don't have a place to do it myself any longer.

When I buy a house, I will probably resume doing oil changes myself. As for walmart or any other oil change place, absolutely no way, at all, ever.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If I have a car that's under warranty, I'll usually go to the dealer. I never go to aftermarket quick lube places anymore, I don't trust them. I went to one near my house for a while but one time I left and the car was making a strange noise. I pulled over, looked under the hood, and they had left a vacuum line or something unplugged. I plugged it back in and it was fine.

If it's out of warranty I do oil changes myself at home. I would never trust Wal-Mart, Jiffy Lube or any place like that to do it right every time and use a quality filter. They just want to make as much profit as they can on each person.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts