TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother found a Mercury Marauder that was wrecked with a good drive-train.
He found it at an idividuals house and I don't have a lot of info for you folks so If you could please give me ranges.

He's going to look at it today and wants a pretty good ballpark figure. He doesn't have a computer, but really values your opinions since you have helped me so much. He doesn't have the exact year and mileage since he hasn't gone to see the guy yet, but needs some info in case he needs to make a deal on the spot.

He was going to buy an 05 mustang, but after seeing what you folks can teach us to do to t-birds and cougars, he's decided to go our route and save the $40K + insurance on the mustang. Plus he's a big guy.

1. Is the Marauder Motor tranny worth it to put in a t-bird/cougar? I know it's a DOHC, but that's about it. He believes it comes with computer and wiring harness.
2. If so, what's a good price range? (He thinks it's a 2000+ model, low mileage). Please give a variation if you can for different years and mileages.
3. Any other opinions or would it be worth messing with?

Maybe we'll have another bird/cat rebuilt and on the road again with a DOHC.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I just want to say that I found one a little while back with low miles for 1400 at a local place that sells mustang parts. I figured that an engine like that would go for about 2000 though. I really like the Marauder/Mach 1 engine....I just think that the autos could use a little bit more stall. Good luck and hopefully more people will chime in to.

Russ

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't the Marauder a returnless fuel system?

And it's COP, so you're looking at that issue also.

IMHO, it’s a good engine, but not really a good candidate for the swap.

Does the Marauder intake get fed from the driver side? If so, then there is that wiring to deal with.

Just a lot of things to think about before jumping into that. I'm just not that up on all the interchangeability between the Marauder and the Cobra.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if he can get it for a VERY good price, go for it. But he will have to change or do major adapting of the intake system.

From these posts, it sounds like a cobra intake system would be needed.
What about the Mark VIII intake setup? Would it interchange?

I've done the explorer swap, so going from COP to coil packs is no biggie (I think). Thank you folks for your answers. I'm just trying to let him know what he's getting into or tell him to forget it and look for a SOHC PI or Mark VIII if he wants a 32V motor.
Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
A Mark VIII Intake WILL NOT bolt to the heads. All the Mark VIII's have the "B" head and the Marauder has the "C" head. Better head, but the intakes won't swap.

I would second that with going a Mark motor or a PI SOHC. While the Marauder is a very good engine, it would have to be too bastardized to get it to work in an MN12. And you would proably have less power. :beek:

But again, just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
A Mark VIII Intake WILL NOT bolt to the heads. All the Mark VIII's have the "B" head and the Marauder has the "C" head. Better head, but the intakes won't swap.

I would second that with going a Mark motor or a PI SOHC. While the Marauder is a very good engine, it would have to be too bastardized to get it to work in an MN12. And you would proably have less power. :beek:

Thanks, I'll push him in that direction.
I love this site!
Rob

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

A '99 or '01 cobra intake will bolt right up to '03+ 4V heads. IIRC the '99 or '01 cobras had the C head. The marauder head is the '03 head (I'm not sure what the designation is without looking it up).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Another option....I just figured that is pretty easy to get ahold of Cobra intakes.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called and told him what you guys said. He's still going to go look at it just in case it's dirt cheap. We'll go from there when we have the exact year, price, mileage, etc.

My brother says thank you folks for the help. Boy, will we need it if he gets it, lol.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts