TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history...
A couple years ago, a friend and I put in a used, but good TL in my bird back when it had 3.27's. We didn't get the spacing right so it had a noise when running...understandable. I only ran that setup for a couple thousand miles.
Last year, I bought a used set (only about 4K miles according to the seller) of 3.73's off Ebay. I took them to a professional rear end guy here in town and he said they were good. He replaced the bearings and used all new parts with my used ring and pinion and TL.
The noise isn't near what it was when we worked on it, but there's still a bit of a roar at lower speeds, say 10 to 35 mph. At faster speeds, it goes away. Does having a TL just naturally entail slightly more noise from the rear?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No, It is possible the used gears may need a little time to adjust to the new settings. I used used 3.73's in mine when I built it and it made a slight noise for about 1000 miles then went away.
Alan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I trust this guy that rebuilt it...he's also done my wife's pinion seal on our Expedition (solid axle).
Thanks Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts