TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have been misinformed, but I understood that getting a tune would correct the speedo reading after a gear swap. Andin the list of mods you have to select gear ratio is one of them. But as I'm going down the highway at a about ±65 I'm seeing ±85.

Did I do something wrong or doi have to get a speedo gear?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geh, a hundred bucks? Aren't the replacement speedo gears like 8 bucks?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey cjchevez, do you know what your car does in the 1/4 it sounds like we have a similar setup and I'm wondering about what to expect

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
IIRC, a tune will not affect your speedometer, only your shift points. You can get a 23(?) tooth speedo gear for the transmission but the teeth are so fine that they won't last long and you will end up with bits of plastic circulating through (or worse, clogging) your transmission.
A hundred bucks for a speedcal is the way to go.
The only other option is to replace the output shaft in the transmission but that = transmission rebuild.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, ok thanks. That anwsers my question perfectly, Guess this unemployeed college student will be just doin the math for the next couple months then xP

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Hey cjchevez, do you know what your car does in the 1/4 it sounds like we have a similar setup and I'm wondering about what to expect
His 1/8th times come to about 14.1 give or take a tenth

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You need a tune to make your transmission function correctly. I used a dakota digital speedometer calibration device from summit and it worked good. Don't have to lengthen wires like the speedcal either.
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
IIRC, a tune will not affect your speedometer, only your shift points. You can get a 23(?) tooth speedo gear for the transmission but the teeth are so fine that they won't last long and you will end up with bits of plastic circulating through (or worse, clogging) your transmission.
A hundred bucks for a speedcal is the way to go.
The only other option is to replace the output shaft in the transmission but that = transmission rebuild.
There is no output shafgt to make that right. If you use a 23t gear and it gets in the back of your case and ruins it you'll wish you had properly recalibrated the speedometer.
Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts