12,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Pros:

Better acceleration.

Cons:
Needs a tune for correct shift points.
Higher highway RPM, close to 2600 at 75mph, not horrible, but higher than normal.
Some loss in MPG, between 22-24 mpg at highway speeds depending on a few factors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have them .its the best mod on my tbird.big difference and my gas mileage is better.i drive in the city mostly

·
Super Moderator
12,538 Posts
Nope, not that big of a difference.

I think Matt runs 3.55's he could tell ya.

Reactions: Third Ford Burden

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts
usually in city driving the mileage goes up with gears
I'm hoping so on my Dakota; it's a pickup which sucks already (about 17MPG or so on the highway), and I've just about to start a 40-hour-week job in town, which will make it somewhere the wrong side of fecal ...

But the truck has 2.94 rear gears in it now. I'm planning on going to 3.54 (Dodge 8.25 rear end) hoping it'll help in town some.

On my 1991, I've got a set of 3.55 gears to drop in when I get my spare pumpkin rebuilt this summer (maybe!)

That can't hurt in town any ...

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,483 Posts
Nope, not that big of a difference.

I think Matt runs 3.55's he could tell ya.
With the PI/4R70w/3.55/26” tire combo I got 28mpg highway @65mph on one leisurely trip so they’re not bad on highway by any stretch. I usually got a combined average of 18mpg with mostly city driving.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
thats pretty amazing. My ls1 camaro only gets 26.5 mpgs with the cruise set to 85mph. My 03 Marauder can't even best 23mpg with the cruise set at 85mph.

I'm afraid I will never know what any of my vehicles get at 65 I simply cannot drive that slow.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
thats pretty amazing. My ls1 camaro only gets 26.5 mpgs with the cruise set to 85mph. My 03 Marauder can't even best 23mpg with the cruise set at 85mph.

I'm afraid I will never know what any of my vehicles get at 65 I simply cannot drive that slow.
Compare apples to apples.

What transmission in the Camaro? T-56? If so, that's got a .5:1 6th gear, so your RPM's at 85 are going to be around 1900. Your Marauder has 3.55's in it if it's stock, and the 4r70W with it's .7:1 OD is going to have the RPM's around 2500, and that's well beyond the "sweet spot" for the DOHC 4.6. Add to it they're a bigger, heavier car and they just aren't going to get great MPG.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,483 Posts

On the same trip I got a $200 out of state ticket for doing 80 in a 65 zone, so I kept it at miserly 65 dead on the way back to achieve that! The rest of the time highway economy was typically the same as your Marauder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts