TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am curious if anyone sells a pipe to replace the cat's, just stright pipe, removing the cats?

My cousin bought a 95' t-bird that has bad cats, where we live in IL doesn't require cats, or smog check, but none of the muffler shops will do it.

I was hoping someone sell's a pre-bent pipe?

The local muffler shop wants $300 to replace the cat's, the cheapest I've found to buy them was on summint racing for $266 Manga flow sells a direct fit Cat's.

Thanks,

-TheChad

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
There was a purchase that was being worked on. Don't know what happened to it. I've given some thought to removing the cat from the manifold, along with the necessary length of exhaust, and taking that part to a shop and seeing if they could build a length of pipe with the correct attachment part, and the correct bends. Then I'd take the pipe home and attach it myself. That way the company that built the pipe could truthfully say they did not remove any cats. Don't know what it would cost though.

One thing about removing the cats. If you remove them without any other mods, you'll get a Check engine light. You can have that fixed with a chip from BlueOvalChips.com. Just shuts off the sending unit that "tells on you" that the cats are no longer there.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ccornett said:
...where we live in IL doesn't require cats, or smog check, but none of the muffler shops will do it...
There is a reason that no shops will do it. While it may not be illegal according to Illinois, it is still illegal to remove them according to Uncle Sam. It is a federal offense to tamper with the emissions system on any vehicle so equipped.
Of course, realistically they are probably never going to find out but I thought you should be aware.:)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yea, I know. Its illegal. I thought it was funny that the folks who put my exhaust in said they'd remove the third cat, and put in the Magnaflow DIDO. But they wouldn't remove the other two cats. Guess they felt they only broke the law a "little" that way. :D

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
the guys that did my system called the 3rd cat a resonator lol. but they didnt have any problems taking out the old crap cats as long as i put cats back on it.

anyway, i think it was nickmckinny (sp?) on here that was trying to set up a gp through art, try pming him about it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
FordFanatic said:
anyway, i think it was nickmckinny (sp?) on here that was trying to set up a gp through art, try pming him about it.
Not trying to hijack but while you're mentioning ART I thought I would ask if anyone else has problems communicating with the dude from ART?, I emailed him last week and never heard anything back.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had all sorts of trouble trying to contact them. Not a very good way to run a business when you have a loyal group of forum members that talk about how you cannot contact a them. I hope that they can come through on this one, because their product is just plain awsome.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
NickMckinney worked out and did alot of "fanagling" and established a GP for mandrel bent "downtubes" as they are called, but due to a lack of overall communication by management, that GP got canned.

What you can do, if your state doesnt have inspection(like the badassical state of florida), hack da cats, remove the flanges and clean them up and run el-cheap-o flexy tubing and take the car to the bendin' shop. I run a 2.5 compression bent system all the way through and my shop took the car without the primary cats and fabbed up a foward system, hacked el gato tercer, and put a 2.5 y-collector in its place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts