TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does burning oil (via valve seals I'm guessing) create a weird smell out the exhaust, like going through the catalytic converters and stuff? Kind of smells like rotten eggs I guess, cant really describe.

I've noticed for a while that my exhaust smells weird sometimes and just dismissed it to failing cats. But yesterday I reved up the car in the driveway after it had been idling for a while and a ton of blue smoke came out. :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
After sitting and idling for a while sounds more like rings than valve seals. If its valve seals, it will emit a blue cloud on startup and deceleration.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
No it would do it after idling and rapid acceleration if it were valve seals. Curse of the 94/95 4.6

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well honestly it could have been deceleration. I was messing around in the engine bay and reved it up for some reason. I just caught the smoke from the corner of my eye, and when the wind blew the cloud past me a few seconds later.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
On the 94/94 heads, the valve stem design is pretty bad.

Repair requires removal; swapping the seals on worn guides won't last long.

PI headswaps are popular these days... :)

Depending on mileage, an engine swap may be the way to go.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Well honestly it could have been deceleration. I was messing around in the engine bay and reved it up for some reason. I just caught the smoke from the corner of my eye, and when the wind blew the cloud past me a few seconds later.
it'll do that like said above on pre 96's especially if its been just idling and you give it some juice it spit some smoke out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts