TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Dennis Sell J-Modded Seperator Plates?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I dunno, but i was thinking the other day of offering to drill plates for people for a small fee ($20-30 + shipping) I have seen a lot of people ask about this, and i would like to help out fellow mn12ers. If you'd like to be my first customer :D, pm me, but otherwise, contact the j man. I know he doesn't offer them anymore, but maybe you can arrange something.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the biggest problem is getting the plate to drill in the first place. I checked the dealer and they said they don't sell it by itself. I think it came with the whole valvebody assembly. (mine is a 97) I guess I understand why they don't sell it. In a "normal" car is the plate ever going to "go bad" or fail?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WhiteBird101 said:
I dunno, but i was thinking the other day of offering to drill plates for people for a small fee ($20-30 + shipping) I have seen a lot of people ask about this, and i would like to help out fellow mn12ers. If you'd like to be my first customer :D, pm me, but otherwise, contact the j man. I know he doesn't offer them anymore, but maybe you can arrange something.
Heck, I'd buy one off you, if you could guarantee it would work. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well, of course i would guarantee it would work, but it could get expensive. IF (and thats a big if) they can sell them seperatly, it'll cost plate+plate shipping(to me)+20-30 for drilling+shipping(to you)
That would be a good option, and if your can't have a lot of downtime prob the only one other then drilling it yourself. I might also consider taking a core, to reduce overall price. If you are SERIOUS about this, e-mail or pm me, and i will contact dan or a local ford dealer and set something in motion. Only if you are serious, please.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't 5-Star Ford sell just the plates?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No....dealers don't sell....l

WaLieN said:
Doesn't 5-Star Ford sell just the plates?
the plates seperately and the bone yard boys
(at least around here) don't like to part out
trannys. Getting a plate can be the most difficult
part of the mod, it seems.

I've got one moded by "the man" himself that could be used
as a guide when I'm out there in San Diego - if you can find
a stock plate in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
or why not aquire one somehow...

then send it out, and charge a core charge... then when you get the original back from the first order, re-drill that plate, and do it all over again... if you dont get the plates back, at least you got the core charge...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I say you should charge like a $100 core. So that way you make sure they send theirs back. So charge like $150 including the core. So in the end you end up with $50 a plate.

If you start drilling them let me know cuz I need one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Me too!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Here's an idea Whitebird. Find you a stock separator plate and take it to a local machine shop and see how much they would charge to make the plates. Or would that be patent violation? Would it still be patent violation if you had the machine shop build them to "The Man"s specs? You know, pre drilled?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BlackTbird96 said:
I say you should charge like a $100 core. So that way you make sure they send theirs back. So charge like $150 including the core. So in the end you end up with $50 a plate.

If you start drilling them let me know cuz I need one.
I think that would be a good idea. How much are the plates?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You know, they are not hard to drill at all. Most of the holes are pre existing and they are well marked in the article so lining up a drill bit to make them bigger is easy. The hole that may not be pre existing is just drilled by lining up the gasket on the plate, the hole in the gasket is still bigger than that hole you are drilling so just get it as close as possible to the middle of the hole in the gasket and you will be fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Jerry said that when he was doing this, no one returned the old plates so he ran out. They are several hundred dollars each, I believe Jerry said around 270.00 ea.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
That's not true. I purchased mine directly from Jerry, and returned the old one for my 75 dollar core charge. I find that comment very hard to believe.

To add to that, I am going to try and locate a stock separator plate from a used-up tranny, so that someone can start the ball rolling again.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
When it come right down to it, the separator plates are just sheets of metal (steel or aluminum?) that are cut to a specific size and shape with specific holes drilled through them. Anyone given my idea any thought? About producing them?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
AverageJoe said:
When it come right down to it, the separator plates are just sheets of metal (steel or aluminum?) that are cut to a specific size and shape with specific holes drilled through them. Anyone given my idea any thought? About producing them?
maybe, but i think the research required to get the specs for a stock plate would undercut any profit from the whole thing. i dont see what all the fuss is about, just drilling the plates is the easiest part of the whole process. i find it hard to believe that someone would rather pay $50 for a predrilled plate than just take the 3 minutes it takes to do it yourself.

you arent making the installation of the plate any easier if its predrilled.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't find that hard to believe. I bought mine from Jerry, because I didn't feel comfortable doing the J-Mod myself. I need my car every day, and I saw enough posts from people who messed up their own J-Mod attempts, that I decided to farm that one out. The tranny shop that did mine took all the parts that I purchased from both 5-Star and Jerry, and installed them for $100. The car has driven fine ever since. Money well spent in my book............

In fact, as I post this, my car is back at the very same shop, getting another dose of MerconV.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
That's not true. I purchased mine directly from Jerry, and returned the old one for my 75 dollar core charge. I find that comment very hard to believe.

To add to that, I am going to try and locate a stock separator plate from a used-up tranny, so that someone can start the ball rolling again.
What's not true? I have the e-mail from Jerry if you want to see it. BTW the price was 400.00 but that was for a complete valve body/w separator plate. I guess that means you can't buy a new plate alone. I ended up doing the mod myself. Wasn't that complicated, just messy. I had a lube bay to work in and did the whole thing without any help. Got a little complicated trying to remove and re-install the O/D servo and keep the O/D band in place AND manage the hydraulic jack to compress the spring so I could remove and re-install the c-clip... WHew. But it worked!

·
Registered
799 Posts
So, Does anyone out there have an extra sep-plate laying around? Unfortunately I don't have the time to let my car sit around disabled if I get stuck or screw something up. My time is also extremely limited due to a new addition to our family.
I have a tranny shop near by that will install the parts for me.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts