TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while my car will start running a bit warm and i was wondering if that means i'm gonna lose headgasket soon, or if its' something else. I've already had them replaced once, don't want to do that again!

·
Registered
801 Posts
well......

my car has been running warm even after the headgaskets were changed and ive checked the oil and everything is fine, car never passes the R in NORM unless i drive her hard thru out a whole day. then she'll reach the M. But will always cool down when the fan kicks in, The fans 1st gear should turn on at 222 degrees and thats on my gauge when my needle reaches the R. Car runs good with no problems, i have spoken to some other people especially the sc's that also have been having this problem, and they've fixed there problems installing a fan switch, i recently did the same and my car hasnt ran warm ever since, i turn on my fan when i want and turn it off when i want.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well that makes me feel alot better, i just noticed yesterday it was a bit warmer, never really past the "O" though so i guess it's not too bad. thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Might be time for a new water pump... Mine started doing that run hot and cool down ting and I kind of ignored it until it popped a hole in the little bypass hose. I waited longer than I should've in my ignorance of the head gasket "issue", didn't find tccoa.com until I started looking for info on the water pump installation.... I changed all the hoses, the thermostat and the water pump it's been running nice and stable since, about 6k miles.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dude,
Do you know what is the mixture of coolant to water is in the system? Reducing the concentration by increasing the amount of water will drop temps a bit. There are also a few coolant treatments on the market than can drop coolant temp by 20 *F.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I had my Contour running past the M, about a millimeter from the red. Had to replace the engine a little while after. Those small 4cyl. cars heat up fast.
My Cougar doesn't even get to where the N would be. Even driving a whole day, it only gets to about 1/4, and it stays like that all day. It was running hotter earlier, but brother hadn't checked antifreeze, and it was low. Really low.

·
Registered
801 Posts
hey doodaa question dude.

ok my water pump has 107,000 miles on it now, it does this whinning sounds sometimes and i had to replace that same lil by pass hose, it had a whole in it. I already have a new pump waiting to be put in, but the mechanics always tell me that its not the pump b/c its not leaking, is this correct??????? Now my temp fluxuates a bit nothing drastic i mean i notice it b/c i drive the car everyday, its a slight fluxuate. Ive kept the car under the R with the new fan switch i installed.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Marvin M. - First let me say I'm no mechanic by trade, just an old shadetree type. The mechanics are telling you good advice, it's based on the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". The "book" says the water pump is fine if that weep hole underneath isn't leaking adn yours sounds like it's ok. On the other hand if your water pump does fail you the engine could overheat and toast your engine pdq - "pay me now or pay me later" applies. I decided that at 100K+ miles a new $40 water pump was a good investment especially since I was going in there to change all the hoses and the thermostat anyway. My head gaskets have also not been done and I think good maintenance on the cooling system may contribute to their longevity. One thing is for sure a good cooling system is a must in Florida, even though we don't have what you'd call traffic up here it's still hot most of the year.

I did the work in the driveway in July (not ideal conditions for an old fat man) and I can tell you my gauge stopped that bouncing around when I changed the pump, hoses (to include heater hoses with crimped connectors) and thermostat. Could've been any one of them... In short, you gotta make the call, if you're happy with the temps the way you're running it keep running it... if you think you want to change the pump do it before it gets hot again unless you've got an AC'd garage - if you do we need to talk ;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
i know what you mean doodaa junes and julys aint no joke down here in Florida, im going to take your advice and change it out, i bought it already anyways and plus i have 107,000 on my stock pump now, i think its a good investment. Thanks for the help :thumbsup: By the way what part of Florida dude???

Marvin M.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
RE: what part? Well, sometimes we're called Lower Alabama but I suppose the more familiar term would be the Panhandle. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts