TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

I took the air silencer off and the next day the SES light comes on!P2046 if I recall. Has anyone else had the same or similar issue or was this just coincidence?

I am thinking the latter, as I see know reason why taking the silencer off would pop up a code....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No. But double-check any wiring connectors that you touched or may have bumped. Unplug and replug any that you touched.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
I'll bet you hit the evaporator hoses, and they disintegrated due to age.

They're right there...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll bet you hit the evaporator hoses, and they disintegrated due to age.

They're right there...
Ok, please treat me like a stupid person and tell me where the hoses are?... THANKS!

I think the code was P0246,I may be wrong, let me check...

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
I don't think that's the code lol

The hoses are directly in front of where the air silencer was. There's plastic hoses and rubber cuplers going to the charcoal canister and flow sensor. The couplers are what deteriorate.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
There are a few short pieces of vacuum line that go from the back of the throttle body to the charcoal canister that is just in front of where the silencer was.

These are a pain to replace unless you have the front clip off.

It can be done thru the holes at the bottom of the clip, but it ain't easy. :)

Anyone have photos?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked for the hoses but I had no luck finding them....Ah I don't wanna' take the front end off to get to them either!

Ironically I giggled the misc hoses that are near the airbox and the light when off today....go figure!

Hopefully it stays off!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
On a funny note, these cars have the CE light on so frequently with all the EVAP codes, etc, that our 96 Cougar's burned out! Luckily, I had an old cluster sitting around.

All I know is it made it fun to diagnose a recent issue.

Al

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
On a funny note, these cars have the CE light on so frequently with all the EVAP codes, etc, that our 96 Cougar's burned out! Luckily, I had an old cluster sitting around.

All I know is it made it fun to diagnose a recent issue.

Al
Or maybe don't ignore the problems and fix them (maintain the vehicle) as problems occur and that wouldn't be an issue

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Or maybe don't ignore the problems and fix them (maintain the vehicle) as problems occur and that wouldn't be an issue
+1 Maintenance goes a long way.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
I looked for the hoses but I had no luck finding them....Ah I don't wanna' take the front end off to get to them either!

Ironically I giggled the misc hoses that are near the airbox and the light when off today....go figure!

Hopefully it stays off!
You got the crack in the tube to seal, most likely.

It will last until you hit a new bump, lol.

I have the same code right now; I did those a couple of months ago. :)

The whole problem is that the small hose between the solenoid and the canister is bigger on one end than the other, so the tube you stuff on there will come off fairly easily.

Make it about an inch longer than stock seems to work; I found my notes when I went to write down the repair in my book. :facepalm:
(I keep a log of repairs/maintenance for all cars; one needs to read All the pages to refresh one's memory when one has multiple cars, lol.)

When I get a dry weekend, lol, I'm going to work on it again; I'll take pix. It may be winter by then...

Removing the airbox to get one arm in, while someone else gets another arm in thru the bottom hole is actually possible; one holds while the other one stuffs the tubing on...

Taking the clip off makes it easy, but...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I do maintain the vehicle. It's just that I dont think EVAP codes are life threatening to the car in any way. That is the only one I have ignored.

Plus, the light was on for the same thing when she got the car, and I did replace the EVAP parts. The light periodically goes on and off for EVAP stuff.

Al

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
My CEL is only on when I turn the key. I think the generalization of "these cars" should be substituted for "these owners". It's not like the MN12 has a super exclusive and unique EVAP system compared to every other car.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
I do reset it everyday, so it sets about the time I hit the driveway coming home, lol.

We are supposed to have beautiful weather all weekend; I hope it doesn't change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts