TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3.73 and i get a bad vibration at about 80 or so. if i switch to the aluminum drive shaft is this going to help my vibration problem? does anyone have the mark vIII dirveshaft? how does it work? Can i just balance my steel stock shaft?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
find the 93 mk8 driveshaft...its a one-piece shaft...it works...it should reduce the vibration
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i found a 93 driveshaft from the mark VIII is it going to reduce the vibration or get rid of it? i was told today by a "drive shaft mechanic" that the mark vIII shaft will not help and i need to have my stock shaft balanced? if the mark 8 shaft does vibrate, what speed does it do it at?
 

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
You can balance a stock drivehaft but why?

They arent all that great to begin with.They are thin steel ones compared to a thick aluminium one.I am almost positive that a Mark VIII driveshaft will cure your problems.I had my Mark VIII up to 130 with the stock driveshaft and it was still smooth.That is what the speed limiter is rated at anyways.The T-Bird/Cougar will shut down at 105 or near that.

Dont waste your money getting the stock one balanced if you have access to a Mark one.I really never heard of a drive shaft mechanic anyway.Call Dennys Driveshfts or Dennis and he will also tell you that you are wasting your money by getting the stock one balanced.

Hope this helps you out and doesnt offend you,Good Luck,
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

i orderd the mark VIII one today for 100$, i wasnt planing on having the stock one balanced i just hope i can hit at least 100 in my tbird with the new shaft. anybody out there with a mark shaft in a tbird with 3.73's id love to hear your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Re: thanks!

PurpleBird said:
i orderd the mark VIII one today for 100$, i wasnt planing on having the stock one balanced i just hope i can hit at least 100 in my tbird with the new shaft. anybody out there with a mark shaft in a tbird with 3.73's id love to hear your input.
Where did you order it for $100?
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
i am also looking to get a drive shaft for mine and i know that the 93 mark dshaft is
one piece but if i wont be able to get a 93 drive shaft should i just go with 94-98
caz mine viberates at about 80 also and it doest do it as much at 100 and then
i go up to 120 and its not as bad as it is at 80
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
Suggestion

PurpleBird said:
i have 3.73 and i get a bad vibration at about 80 or so. if i switch to the aluminum drive shaft is this going to help my vibration problem? does anyone have the mark vIII dirveshaft? how does it work? Can i just balance my steel stock shaft?
If you have a vibration you need to solve it before adding a new variable. I put in a new pumpkin, new drive shaft and new T/C right after I put on my old snow tires and now there is a vibration that starts at 80 mph. We think we narrowed it down to the the tires but not certain yet. To my knowledge the vibes were not there with the old equipment at least up to 95 but the snows were not on at that time.

If you can do one thing at a time.

T
 

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
He sells them............

glowing escape said:
dont forget reinhardt... he makes em too. -greg
He doesnt make them.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes dennis sells them but there like 400$. i got this shaft from a junkyard in south jersey for 100 bucks, i still want to know if anyone out there has the mark 8 shaft in their car and does it help. i have new tires new trans new TC and a new pumpkin and new u-joints. so im pretty sure the only other thing it could be is the drive shaft since thats what it says in jerry's trans articles. my vibration comes in at about 83 mph and in the trans article it says 86 so i think it is this steel one that is vibrating. i just want some input from someone who has the same setup as me, im hoping i can do atleast 100 without a vibration, cause i got to drive back down to south carolina this weekend and the trip is very long at only 80 mph. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
when i get a new one, im opting for a dennis one because im going to have a either a t-3550 or a t-45 (depending which motor i go with), and they are a different length than our transmissions, so i need a different length shaft. and why not go with a really nice brandnew aluminum one perfectly balanced? anyways, i can take my car WAY over 100 without and shakes or vibrations or wierd noises, and its a stock 90 3.8. it rides really solid way over 100 and it has 146,000 miles on the clock. -greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
who has 3.73 v8 with a mark 8 shaft does anyone. it is recomended all the time so i would think someone has it. i just want to know when it will start to vibrate with this setup? thanks.
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
PurpleBird said:
who has 3.73 v8 with a mark 8 shaft does anyone. it is recomended all the time so i would think someone has it. i just want to know when it will start to vibrate with this setup? thanks.
Dan Ulrich had one in his '96.It still vibrated.Even after sending it out for rebalancing, it had a vibration. On your '95 it might also be the output shaft runout that is contributing to the vibration as well. The OE driveshaft is a POS,and the MK8 is not much better.For what you're gonna spend getting that MK8 shaft right,you could have bought the Dynotech from Dennis,and never touched it.
JL
 

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Why then............

If a Mark VIII shaft isnt much better then a stock driveshaft,then why does everyone want one?And why is the speed limiter set at 130 in a Mark VIII and only 108 in a T-Bird/Cougar?I think a Mark VIII shaft would be a good investment over a stock one but not as good as a Dennys or MMC that Dennis sells.
Chris
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
Re: Why then............

LX-Tasy said:
If a Mark VIII shaft isnt much better then a stock driveshaft,then why does everyone want one?And why is the speed limiter set at 130 in a Mark VIII and only 108 in a T-Bird/Cougar?I think a Mark VIII shaft would be a good investment over a stock one but not as good as a Dennys or MMC that Dennis sells.
Chris
We've been over this **** before.The MK8's speed limiter is at 130 because of the slightly better driveshaft,and the tall 3.08 and 3.27 gears that come in those cars. Put a set of 3.73's in one,and you have an instant vibrate-o-matic. I've had my T-bird with 3.27's and the stock shaft up to 130ish, and it wasn't that bad,but it was rather worrisome from the vibration that was starting to buildup. The MK8 is not an alternative to the MMC shaft if you intend to use steeper gears.
JL
 

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Re: Re: Why then............

Johnny Langton said:

We've been over this **** before.The MK8's speed limiter is at 130 because of the slightly better driveshaft,and the tall 3.08 and 3.27 gears that come in those cars. Put a set of 3.73's in one,and you have an instant vibrate-o-matic. I've had my T-bird with 3.27's and the stock shaft up to 130ish, and it wasn't that bad,but it was rather worrisome from the vibration that was starting to buildup. The MK8 is not an alternative to the MMC shaft if you intend to use steeper gears.
JL
Yeah,I see what you are saying about the steeper gears with the Mark VIII shaft.I know tha we have been over this **** before but I know there are guys out there with Mark VIII shafts and 3:73s with no problem,and you said so yourself that you hit 130 in a stock shaft,now wouldnt a Mark shaft be safer?

I am not trying to start an arguement with you JL ,I am just trying to help this guy out by not getting a stock shaft balanced and getting something better then what he has now.

Thanks,
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Also, couldn't an off pinion angle result in high speed shuddering also? I was thinking of getting a MK8 drive shaft also, but I can't find any in the junkyards around here.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top