TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have decided to start fixing things up on my good ol' 1995 T-Bird. One of the first things I want to do is replace the stock exhaust system and it's gutted cats with a fresh system. My main interest is eliminating the smell and smoke that some of you might remember my thread about months ago, and at the same time I want to bring out the sound and volume of the 4.6 beast! :) I removed the air silencer a few days ago and boy it DOES make a difference in the sound. It sings much more clearly from 2500 RPM on up.

My plan is this -- I will purchase my own hi-flow cats from ebay (2 of them), and also an x-pipe. I will then have a shop custom-fabricate and install a true-dual exhaust out of those pre-supplied parts, 2 1/2 inch piping, no mufflers, with 3 inch chrome pipes/tips coming out the back. I think that the Mustang-style straight pipes out the back of the car look very cool on T-Birds, so I want to go for that look.

I called a local Muffler Man and the man I talked to quoted me $380.xx for the entire job with me supplying those parts. Does that sound like a decent price? I was actually hoping to be closer to $200 but that might be an unreasonable expectation. Does anyone in the Detroit area know of a better deal anywhere?

Finally, as far as that exhaust setup goes, what do you all think? Right now my Bird sounds like an old truck with its raspy, beat up sound from the gutted exhaust. Will this exhaust of mine bring out the sound nicely? I feel some extra volume will help, hence no mufflers, as long as the sound is crisp and not too sloppy. Plus, my Bird does feel pretty sluggish until about 2000 or so RPM at WOT. Might I get some low-end back by having intact cats again?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Instead of an x-pipe, get a Magnaflow dual in/ out muffler with internal X. I have a Magnaflow mounted where the third cat/resonator was and I really like the sound. For a mianly stock setup I would go with 2.25 pipe to keep some of the torque so I would recomend Magnaflow #11385. That's not a stainless muffler but it is a available in stainless, mine isn't cause with a lifetime warrenty I don't see a need. That with Magnaflow 22" stainless tips like mine would sound real good, loud but not too loud I would think. Got all my stuff from Performance Peddler on E-bay. Just sent him an e-mail with what I needed and he gave me prices no one could match. My muffler was 68 and the two tips were 26 a piece shipped. Definitely put cats back on it will help with the low end. Hope this helps some. Had a coworker weld up pipes for me so price on that I'm not too sure of.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was going to get a couple high flows off ebay as well and a couple muffs and an x pipe, have a exhaust shop to the piping while i supplied the rest. i was quoted $300 for the work, so $380 isn't too bad

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts