TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today got stuck in the snow and had to rev a little hard.next thing i know steam is poring through the vents and coolant on the pass floor ,but there is coolant all over the top of motor also mostly on the manifold.could i have blown both?or might it just be the manifold?thoughts please.

·
Registered
147 Posts
UM yeah, that sounds like the heater core, but if there is fluid on the manifold you may want to check the hoses especially the one coming off the heater core.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OTOWNBIRD said:
UM yeah, that sounds like the heater core, but if there is fluid on the manifold you may want to check the hoses especially the one coming off the heater core.
well i found alot of coolant in the V area under the plastic manifold.do hoses run through there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it looks like the plastic manifold is possible cracked i can see coolent dripping behind the alt and it may have just been water on the pass side from snow feet
But would this still cause steam to blow through the vents?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would guess that your heater core is okay, that the coolant and steam you have inside was drawn in from the outside, and not from inside the heater case.

Doesn't mean the heater core didn't go, it could have, but I wouldn't wish changing that out on anyone. I would do 10 intake manifolds over 1 heater core.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup,your guess seems to be right (steam being sucked in)the intake cracked at the first runner just behind the alt.after the first blow i could not get it to blow from the vents again.
I was really hoping it was not the heater core.and seems it is fine.But that first blast of steam was pretty freaky:D
Any one in MI wants a mechanics special pm me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was really hoping it was not the heater core.and seems it is fine.But that first blast of steam was pretty freaky
Mine did that! It had a pinhole rubbed in the hose. It was against the a.i.r. injection tube on the back of my old 5.0- It didn't leak unless revving the engine or pressuring it up with a tester.

Somehow coolant got inside the car and I smelled antifreeze. I was so happy the next day when I found out it didn't need a heater core.

B.T.W. where can you buy a heater core for a tbird that isn't copper:confused: When mine gets replaced I want it to last another 15 - 20 yrs:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts