TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my car back on the road. Last summer was a nightmare and then the winter came. First I ordered parts. Then I installed parts. Then my car gets keyed before I even drove it. So car goes to a shop. On a trailer. Winter comes, and in the middle I get it back. Put PI cams in. BTW that was no fun. Anyways today while driving I noticed that the car seemed to hit 5500 rpm before it would shift. My mods are in the signature and it seemed that for those last 4-500 rpm it wasn't pulling like it was before 5000. Anyways does that sound right or do you think that it could be something else?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Midnight said:
So I just got my car back on the road. Last summer was a nightmare and then the winter came. First I ordered parts. Then I installed parts. Then my car gets keyed before I even drove it. So car goes to a shop. On a trailer. Winter comes, and in the middle I get it back. Put PI cams in. BTW that was no fun. Anyways today while driving I noticed that the car seemed to hit 5500 rpm before it would shift. My mods are in the signature and it seemed that for those last 4-500 rpm it wasn't pulling like it was before 5000. Anyways does that sound right or do you think that it could be something else?
the chip raises the shift points to 5500-5700 rpms. and the reason your car isn't pulling as hard after 5000 is because your stock intake manifold is extremely restrictive and causing your engine to choke. i just recently switched to the pi intake manifold from an 03 gt and it made a huge differance in the upper rpms. the car pulls hard all the way to the 5500 rpm shift point. its a fairly cheap upgrade and well worth it. i got the intake for $125 from a guy on corral who sells them regularly, he goes by the name wrecks (he's also on modular depot). Then you'll need some intake manifold gaskets and a few other misc. parts to change the coolant hardline. its a pretty easy swap, i've done two already.

Frank

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least that tells me that everything is ok with the car. No, wait no it isn't the air intake stinks.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Midnight said:
Well at least that tells me that everything is ok with the car. No, wait no it isn't the air intake stinks.
yea your next mod should be the pi intake. it will compliment the cams nicely. a few weeks back some dyno'd a 97 cougar at 218 rwhp and the only mods were pi cams, pi intake, 02 gt maf and a tune.

Frank

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, although my heads are stock and my intake is stock, my car will pull hard to about 5100-5200 rpm and kicks back with a nice firm shift. I want to get the PI intake but I want to wait until I get heads, but I guess I can always get it now and swap heads later. I'd like to force the air in w/ a Kenne Bell s/c and not bother w/ buying an intake. My shift points from the DR chip I've seen at the max 5500, but usually at about 5300 RPM just above the power band.

Clay

·
Registered
515 Posts
i didnt know you could put PI intake on stock heads...if you can this would be a sound investment then cause i hate it when it does that at 5500

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
tbirdracer97 said:
i didnt know you could put PI intake on stock heads...if you can this would be a sound investment then cause i hate it when it does that at 5500
Man...where have you been? There have been plenty of threads here on it. There is a tech write or two over at modulardepot.com if think about doing it.

Russell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts