TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started taking apart my set of heads today and I have a really big question -- the two cams, one has the timing chain sproket the other doesn't. How in the hell do you take the bolt off the 2nd one?!

I popped the bolt off the one with the big sproket, no problem -- for the life of me I can't get the other bolt off that other cam. What am I doin wrong??

·
Registered
85 Posts
well when you are removing the bolt on a SOHC head there is a tool that you can get to hold the cam from moving. the tool hooks into the back of the cam, you could try that but i am not sure if it will work.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
its not a counter-clockwise bolt is it?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
4.6Rebuild said:
well when you are removing the bolt on a SOHC head there is a tool that you can get to hold the cam from moving. the tool hooks into the back of the cam, you could try that but i am not sure if it will work.
Actually there are two tools, one that goes into the back of the cams for alignment purposes. And another that is used to hold the cams in place while you losen/tighten everything. :D

Camshaft Positionioning Tool = T93P-6256-A
Camshaft Holding Tool = T93P-6256-AH

Fubarian: When you pop those secondary gears off, check to see if they have the keys in them. Do you have the "B" heads, or the "C" (tumble port) heads? :confused:

This is why I'm asking: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26161 :mad:

So far I have talked to 4 people that have torn into early DOHC heads and none of them have had the keys in them. (If they do, don't lose them!! :beek: ) :2huh:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Its good to know the bolts I had out already popped out with no problem, lol. I am pretty sure the heads were off a 93, the keys should be the cast in type for the secondary gears.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the keys were there and I think your right, no keys -- I'll have to check the other head (the one I haven't touched yet) but I'm pretty sure they aren't.

would hitting it with an impact wrench be a bad idea? One guy was telling me they're torqued to 90ft/lbs :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts