TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It could be worth it for the block alone, or it could be junk and not worth the price in scrap and your time.

Is it obvious why the car is there, like the entire rear of the car is crushed? Can you check it out like inspect the outside of the block, turn it over, or even get it to run?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is a little less than what I was looking at for a lower mileage less rusty engine. If they are pulling it, will not damage and will include the exahust to the Y and the flexplate, I would also try to get the cooling fan and as much of the wiring intact as you can, the zip tube/MAF/airbox, the throttle cable and cruise, the fuel line to the filter.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the mileage on the engine I was for the most part guessing, the guy at the yard told me the tech put in his notes under 150k miles. So I will not know the actual miles till we get a battery inside.

The following are some things I need to know for the swap.

Car I'm using

1997 XR7 Sport.

Parts car

1997 Mark 8.

Now the owner of the junk yard is for the most part a pretty cool guy and should let me take whatever I want off the car for swapping the motor.

This is what I would like my end project to be. 1. 1997 XR7 with a DOHC 4.6 V8 and working AC. Other then that I don't need a lot to make me happy.

Questions.

What should I remove off that car to make my swap as EZ as I can?
ECU, Full wiring harness, motor, and all sensors and intake parts?

Will the factory exhaust manifolds from the Mark fit in my car? If not will the factory exhaust manifolds from my 4.6 work on the Mark Motor?

As for the exhaust, will my aftermarket High flow cats bolt up or should I have them cut the down pipe and just weld my cats in?

What will I need to fix/add on my factory 97 XR7 V8 Harness to get the Mark motor to fire.

Will the ECU from my car fire that motor without a tune?

Since I know I will need a tune what am I looking at as fair as cost?

Could I swap some pins and use the factory Mark Computer in my XR7?

If no could I just pop them open and swap the chip?

Will my Transmission fit behind the Mark motor? Will I need a new drive shaft?

Do the AC compressors bolt up in the same places?

If you can think of any thing I have missed I would love to know about it before I get head deep in a motor swap...

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Intersting; it looks just like mine, but the "Intek" tag on the valvecover is white background, with black letters...mine is the opposite.

I wonder what the difference is?

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
What should I remove off that car to make my swap as EZ as I can?
ECU, Full wiring harness, motor, and all sensors and intake parts?

No, No, Yes, No, Yes.

Will the factory exhaust manifolds from the Mark fit in my car? If not will the factory exhaust manifolds from my 4.6 work on the Mark Motor?

Yes, kinda. No.

As for the exhaust, will my aftermarket High flow cats bolt up or should I have them cut the down pipe and just weld my cats in?

Probably not; I'd have them fab the Mark headers to the Tbird pipes with the cats; or get Kooks, and add the cats in somewhere. MN12 pipes are more restrictive than Mark exhaust, so Custom fabbing required, AFAIK.

What will I need to fix/add on my factory 97 XR7 V8 Harness to get the Mark motor to fire.

Crank sensor, Cam sensor, add in a temp sender to the plumbing somewhere and wire it, the temp sender that does fit, the ignition wiring, TPS, Vacuum plumbing, adapting the fuel lines, injector wiring, and a bunch of assorted stuff. When in doubt, Use the ones from your bird.

Oh, yeah; You will meed a Mark Fuel pump (255gph??); the stock one will lean out at WOT even with a tune, lol.

Will the ECU from my car fire that motor without a tune?

Yes, but Barely; you will blow it up by being too lean with a WOT hit. It can be driven, but I wouldn't.

Since I know I will need a tune what am I looking at as fair as cost?

Tune + programmer; use search on the EEC forum. IMHO, Lonnie Doll at BOC is the guy.

Could I swap some pins and use the factory Mark Computer in my XR7?

Not really; and the Mark harness fits the EEc under the drivers side, not an easy option in out cars. Our EECs will run a Mark motor fine with a good tune.

If no could I just pop them open and swap the chip?

No.

Will my Transmission fit behind the Mark motor? Will I need a new drive shaft?

Yes, No; but you don't want to keep either stock 97 driveshaft, get an aftermarket one ASAP, or a 93 Mark one piece aluminum shaft.

Do the AC compressors bolt up in the same places?

Yes; I think it may be possible to remove the one from the stock motor, leave it connected to the system, and bolt it back up to the new motor. IMBW... :)

If you can think of any thing I have missed I would love to know about it before I get head deep in a motor swap...

Me too. :)

Hope this helps; I've been working this for a while. At this point I think I'm waiting for my engine to blow...

Some of these are Short answers, but I eliminated those avenues in my research; you might want to do it differently, but I think the other way is the hard way. Searching those topics will find a bunch of info.

Everyone, please chime in where I'm wrong... :thumbsup: Inquiring minds want to know...

I noticed recently that most of the DOHC swap threads aren't easy to find anymore, so if you wrote one, dig it up and link it! (Please!)

:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you do have them pull it, make sure they didn't break off any of the bolts in the bellhousing. The Mark VIII engine I found in Craigslist ended up having a bolt broken off in the bellhousing. Between the rust and the tendancy of the aluminum to seize, they're impossible to get out. Also, another one of the holes was broken out, so I assume it had the same problem

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm trying to work a deal were I get the trans and drive shaft for an extra $50.00 plus I'm going to do all the prep work and get everything ready to be removed. So I'm hoping the removing of the motor will be easy.

I have been searching and every one tells me I need to modify some of the wires on the harness but at this point no one can tell me what they are and were they are. If any one knows feel free to make on the photos above.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Plus, is it just me or do I not see any coil packs on the motor in the photos? To be honest I don't even see any Spark plugs or wires???
They are under the covers in the middle of the valve cover. if you unscrew the covers that say "32 Valve". you'll see them.

Looks like a nice find, so spit and polish and you'll be rock and rolling.:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dose any one know if the coils on the Mark use the same plug as the coils on are cars?

If not should the colors match so all I need to do is splice it in?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also what about the headers? I would really rather use the factory E.M.'s rather then headers (I have had very bad luck with headers even good ones.) Dose any one know if this can be done?

From the photos I have seen from other Mark motors it looks like both the drivers and passengers side E.M.'s seem to exit at the rear with a small down tube with Cat's attached to that.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea the cat is attached to the manifolds..its either those or Kooks midlength headers from SCP

that mark uses coil-over-plug....there is one small coil on top of each plug......you can wire them up in pairs (4 pairs) and use the stock 4.6 mn12 computer to fire them, as I did....or if you prefer coil packs and plug wires, you can, but you might need older mark valve covers, and the appropriate brackets to mount the coil packs in front of the engine....i would just switch to C.O.P, its much cleaner looking

1 - 20 of 62 Posts