TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So will a DOHC engine fit inour cars? :lol: Sorry had to since I saw a ton of threads about the exact same thing.

My real question is this:
I got a mark viii stall in my current setup and it just hit me the other day, when I swap in the mark engine will the car no longer act as if it has a stall? Since it is the stall for that engine will it be as if I am driving with a stock convertor?

Also, I am debating as to my wanting to do the 5 speed conversion on my car or not. I am wondering if it may do better with a 3500 stall than a 3550 5 speed. I already have the 5sp. transmission, but I need to replace two of the shift forks. I dont want this to be a monster of a project, but I am trying to decide before I pull the engine and tranny out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What tranny do you have that is in and a 5 speed? Mounted to a V8 already? Good luck mounting a 5 speed to a 4.6, takes some enginuity, though I hear summit has a bell housing for it. I believe the housing was built to upgrade the v6 to a v8, not swapping trannys.

A torque converter is a torque converter, so what ever stall speed it is stock, thats what you'll get. A 4r70w is a 4r70w, there all the same, but quality differs better by year.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
He's probably thinking of a 3650, used in the stang gt mid-01+

Personally I'd go with the 3500 stall.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Definatly go auto in a bird! The mustang 5 speeds shift under the radio! Damn that sucks, else you'd see it done plenty of times!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think it is a 3550 since it came from a 00 GT stang. Didnt the foxbodies come with the tremec and than the 3550 was considered an upgrade? I know the swap has been done (one person here has a dohc and a 5 speed). This will remain my daily so that is the main reason I was thinking of upping the stall. 5 speed would be nice but it will be quite the task to perform. I am wanthing a Cobra or LS1 maro next year so I figure I can get my shifting needs from that.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Screw-Rice said:
Think it is a 3550 since it came from a 00 GT stang. Didnt the foxbodies come with the tremec and than the 3550 was considered an upgrade? I know the swap has been done (one person here has a dohc and a 5 speed). This will remain my daily so that is the main reason I was thinking of upping the stall. 5 speed would be nice but it will be quite the task to perform. I am wanthing a Cobra or LS1 maro next year so I figure I can get my shifting needs from that.
Modular Mustang GTs first used the T-45 and switched to the Tremec 3650 as Greenbird said.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds right, dont know what I was thinking. :eek:

Will a 3500 be streetable in traffic? I have a high tolerance for "streetable", just most cars I have owned were manual trans so it was more of how big a cam than stall. Will that be the best stall to get the best launch into the power band, know it will be a improvment over my current, just want to ensure I will be happy with it. Also this will be suitable for a nitrous setup...plan on upping the nitrous to utalize the B-heads on the DOHC I will be dropping in.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
3500rpm stall is streetable, and just about right for a street car. Whether or not it'll hold up to N2O dpeends on how much you use and which TC you choose (1 disc vs. 3 disc).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am assuming the 3 disk will be far stronger...I will be shooting a 150 shot. Decided 125 just wasnt enough. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Screw-Rice said:
I am assuming the 3 disk will be far stronger...I will be shooting a 150 shot. Decided 125 just wasnt enough. :D
Start an engine/tranny replacement fund just incase....It is a t-bird afterall.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CLowe1243 said:
Start an engine/tranny replacement fund just incase....It is a t-bird afterall.

Despite the low miles on the engine I found, I am thinking of replacing the headgaskets and a few other things too as a safety. The tranny has been built to handle the power, so if it blows I will part the car out and buy something old and cheap to mod....this is after I throw a very large temper tantrum. :D Or I say screw it and use that 5 speed I have laying around.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
CLowe1243 said:
Definatly go auto in a bird! The mustang 5 speeds shift under the radio! Damn that sucks, else you'd see it done plenty of times!
It has been done plenty of times. I've personally seen 3 of them and mine will be completed once my tax return comes in. Shifter location is indeed a problem, but not so much of a problem that you can't create a solution.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Screw-Rice said:
...I already have the 5sp. transmission, but I need to replace two of the shift forks. I dont want this to be a monster of a project, but I am trying to decide before I pull the engine and tranny out.
Read first!

AverageJoe said:
...mine will be completed once my tax return comes in. Shifter location is indeed a problem, but not so much of a problem that you can't create a solution.
Talking to yourself might help. You can put a jet pack on a tricycle, a whale in space, or **** on a alligator, but why! But I bet it's cheaper and smarter to go another way.

I'm only messing with you. But you get my point!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CLowe1243 said:
Read first!

Talking to yourself might help. You can put a jet pack on a tricycle, a whale in space, or **** on a alligator, but why! But I bet it's cheaper and smarter to go another way.

So what I am looking at cost wise to put a whale in space? :D Already found a donor tricycle for the other project.

On a serious note I am going to look at a 3500 stall, figure I will be buying a manual trans car in the near future and this would be good for sitting in traffic and cruising.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
CLowe1243 said:
Read first!

Depends on your reasons for wanting to do it in the first place. My plan fits my needs and desires on numerous different levels so to me, while it is more expensive to begin with, it'll actually wind up equal to if not cheaper to go manual than stay auto. Getting a good converter plus the cost of a built to the hilt 4R70W is quite likely to cost more than my swap, and its not exactly the best for road courses or the fact that I depise daily driving an auto... :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am doing the same swap, 1997 cobra with t-45, things to think about
1) reprogram ECM
2)pedals, cable or hydr, and if you use cable make sure where it goes through the fire wall isnt behind master brake booster, may have to swith to Mustang

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thinking the 3500 stall will be the best for my setup/purpose. So anyone interested in a T-45?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forgot I had one other DOHC realted question.

Will an alternator from a 95 4.6 SOHC bolt right up to a 93 DOHC? Wanted to check because I have access to a high amperage alternator for my current engine, but would like to swap it over. Figure with all the extra power I can afford to have a powerful sound system again. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts