TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Well i have a 95 mark motor to go into my 95 bird. Now first things first i did do a search but it didn't turn up any answers to my questions. So here goes;
why does every one opt to use the bird harness if the motors only differ by 3 sensors. Also does anyone have a mark viii wiring diagram. Next can i just plug the mark computer into the tbird computer connecter. If so why not just cut and splice the wires to rearrane the pins so to speak i.e. splice 21 to where 46 goes say. Finally i count 37 wires in the mark engine harness where do the other 23 come from trans and such? I think thats it for now thanks for the help. Oh by the way i am selling all my pi swap stuff everything you need to swap pi intake onto a 95 motor,except the tube that runs from the intake tube to the iac valve thats the only thing i didn't get everything else is brand new except for intake and plenum. Also i have a 70 mm mac throttle body as well included in this package. Will sell everything for 1000 flat no shipping charges., that includes 96 mustang heads as well. Thanks guys and gals.

Will

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
All that stuff has been discussed before here, and 4CamBird has done a pretty good write up somewhere around here, including the wiring diagrams. In a previous post from Lonnie, he stated that the way you are looking at doing it was the hard way. The easiest way is to use the TBird computer and harness, extending the wires where necessary, and having the eec reburned to the Mark parameters, that way, no repinning or total rewiring is required.

I'm going through the same thing right now, but mine is a little more complicated, since I'm using an '03 DOHC engine, I'm sure the parameters are different. I'm just waiting on Lonnie to get back with me to see whether I need to get the EEC and harness out of a Mach 1/Marauder also.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Is the 95 Mark VIII PCM EEC IV or V? I know the 94 Mark was EEC IV while the 94 Bird was EEC V, and the 96 stuff was all EEC V, and I think the 95 Mark was EEC IV, but I'm not sure. If it is EEC IV it will not plug into the T-bird's EEC V PCM connector due to the EEC IV being 60 pin and the EEC V being 104 pin. Some pins are unused, some are for the tranny and some go to other controllers. I've never done it the way of using the T-bird harness, but it sounds like it is a lot easier way. If you are dead set on using the Mark VIII harness and PCM. I'll first remind you that he EEC V is much mroe tunable than the EEC IV. If you are still dead set on it. Search through my posts, you'll find a link to some wiring diagrams and such, you might end up chaning your mind after that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello
Well 4 cam bird i have a few questions. First didn't you use a 94 motor in a 94 if so the swap is the same for me because 93-95 mark motors are the same and 94-95 tbirds are the same. I guess you used the mark harness between the engine and the eec(pcm or whatever acronym you prefer). I am still not clear on that aspect of your swap. Also as far as the trans is concerned i count 9 wires in the tbird and only 8 in the mark did i miss one or is there a ground or something in the tbird harness. Next did everything not related to the engine plug directly in like guage cluster or whatever. Finally in your notes you keep referrring to the tbird controller what and where is that. As far as searching goes i did and i am not happy with the information i found thats why i started this thread to clear up all my questions and being i have to have this done before the 30 i am in a tight spot. thanks.

Will

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
If you're asking questions like that you need to go spend a bunch of time studying the schematics.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend you purchase an EVTM for both the year Mark that the engine came out of, and for the year MN-12 that the DOHC is going into. Either on CD or hard copy.

Counting pins and such just doesn't cut it with a swap of this nature. You have to know what signals go where. Not only that, but also what is on that signal from a voltage standpoint.

There are connections on the Mark VIII motor that were never in the MN-12 EEC, i.e. IMRC signals, accessory air pump, etc..

If you have the manuals, you can compare each system one on one and then make the necessary adjustments/wiring. :thumbsup:

I’m slowly working on a DOHC swap into my 94 and I can’t imagine anyone trying to do this swap without the manuals. :beek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again
Look i'm not an idiot and i have the schmetics and i am very much aware of the voltage signal differences the only reason i am counting pins was to see if you could physically wire the components up because how can you wire a trans that has only 8 wires to something that has 9. That would just be ludicrious to even think of to me that indicates the mark had one less sensor or had a different sensor indicating that their would be a very large problem when it came time for the eec to communicate with that sensor. It sounds like you guys didn't read the post about the tcc voltage differneces between the marks and thunderbirds granted it was a false alarm it turned out the pn's were the same but they could have been different. I was thinking the mark didn't have the o/d on off switch like the bird but it isn't all in the schematics. In the chiltons book all they say on the diagrams is 8 wires off a main wire and then above them it says to auto electronic trans. Well what does that tell me; nothing thats why i asked. And finally i am still not clear on what 4 cam did thats why i asked him. He told me that eec iv was a 60 pin and eec v was 104, so obviously he didn't use the tbird harness. once again i am confused because he could have done a million different things. 4 cam which harness did you use between the eec and the engine bay and i am assuming you used the mark connecter thanks.

Will

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The T-bird controller is the thing in front of the passenger side headlight. What we did, was splice on the connector for the Mark VIII PCM to the T-bird's harness. I used the engine harness for the Mark VIII and it was adjusted to fit the harness on the car itself. All the wires had to be lengthened to get the main connector over to the connector on the car since the Mark VIII has the connecor on the opposite side of the car, in addition to having the male and female ends swapped from the T-bird so I had to switch which end was on the engine harness. I had an entire Mark VIII harness there to steal stuff from though.

I really would suggest doing what others have done and using the T-bird PCM and engine harness. From what they say, it seems to be a lot easier route.

I'd also suggest finding some Ford manuals for the wiring rather than Chilton's.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, I just got my PM back saying that my '95 computer could run the '03 DOHC engine with no problems, just a custom chip from Lonnie. The only thing that you are going to have to worry about that I don't is the IMRC's, you'll have to actuate them with a window switch, where the '03 engine doesn't have them, so mine is more of a plug and go situation. The only thing I have to deal with that you don't is the fuel rails, since the '03 had a returnless style fuel system, but that's easy to deal with. After researching, and Lonnie's answer, I would definately just run the Mark motor with the TBird harness and computer, extending the wires where necessary and having a custom chip burned to the Mark parameters.

I'm sure 4cambird will agree that the money spent for the chip would be well worth avoiding the wiring nightmare.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i agree i am looking into a chip with Lonnie and i'm just going to reuse the tbird harness and such. One other question though could ford reprogram the eec to. My dad is tight with the parts department at one of the dealers so just curiosus. Also could the enigne run without a chip if need be i know the cams and durations are different but i don't know if it would run granted it would probably run like absolute sh*t but who knows. Thanks everybody. Oh one more thing what converters you all using. later.

Will

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't know if it would even run, and if it did, it wouldn't run much.

Ford can't reflash EEC's, they would look at you like you had something growing out of your head.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i figured as much, oh well. I planned on getting Lonnies chip anyway i want someone whos knows what their doing especially someone who actually did the swap.

Will

1 - 13 of 13 Posts