TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me how many people had actually done this swap. So, now I am curious.

I know of myself, teeps, the two featured in the Hot Rod mag a couple years back, Rod, someone who doesn't post much but warned me about the cooling fan wiring, Mark B. who is working on one, FoMoCoSVT who is working on one, and DailyDriven4.6L who is working on one. I am sure I missed others that I know about, like whoever it was in KC that I sent wiring notes to.

Who else has a 32V Bird/Cougar up and running? Who else has an engine and is working on getting things together to put it in?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am still in the process of building my 32V motor. If cashflow estimates are what I have estimated, then I can have it completed and in before winter sets in.
The engine will be a new 2003 Iron block, Forged cobra crank turned .25mm/.25mm, Clevite77 Main and rod bearings, Eagle Esp H-Beam Forged Rods with ARP2000 Rod Bolts, Probe 3.552" -18.1cc forged aluminum pistons, Modmax Plasma Moly File-to-Fit rings, ARP Main studs, FRPP Hi-Vol Oil Pump, Billet Oil gears, New 03 Cobra Head Gaskets, ARP head studs, New 2003 Cobra/Mach1/Marauder heads(preferably the newest, least chance of ticking ones), 03 cobra timing cover and accessory brackets and all pulleys, 03 cobra alternator, 01cobra water pump, 24# injectors, slightly modified 96-98 cobra fuel rails, and for the time being, a 99-01 cobra intake. Then I want to get it in and tuned before winter. I want to save up more money first. Then once I have enough, I want to upgrade the transmission, entire fuel system with new lines,rails, and use KB Boost-a-Pump with 255lph in-tank pump, help the ignition with KB Boost-a-Spark, build up my suspension as much as possible, and then buy a KB and a 03 cobra front mount intercooler, but not the stock intercooler, a larger Fluidine unit. I will have it again dyno tuned, one setting for 93 octane(stun), and another for race gas(kill). My goal is 10's in the quarter, come hell or high dollar. There are many things I neglected to mention. Too much to recall in one sitting. But I would use a modified stock harness. I will have more questions about this as I get closer to dropping it in.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the engine that I was researching a build for. I was getting ready to start buying pieces when the headers I bought didn't fit, I got pissed, and bought a Lightning instead of building a motor. Still haven't got the money back for those headers either, I sent them back and they received them 6 weeks ago tomorrow :mad:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did you sell it with it running or are you going to a PI moor now or what?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I ended up putting PI heads on my 95 motor and put an AED kit on itand put it back in... Lasted about 15k miles... was fun though... it blew up and I parted it out and bought a 96

They AED kit was as much as a pain as the DOHC swap...

I have a 96 that I am working on is being fully built but the process is slow due to the Cutlass....

I did not do most of the work I had a local shop 5.0 Pro shop and they are pretty proficiant on custom Ford work.... Plus alot of help from the guys here and at corral.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know of some others but they didn't do it themselves. They either paid some shop to do it which in turn got me to help them or they were able to figure it out after a few phone calls. I can't say I did one from start to finish though in an MN12. I have done it in Fox bodies and a 64 Galaxy though.

But then there are those like Jim Metcalfe and the Susan something woman here in FL that also had shops do it for them. Jim of course has a T45 behind his which makes it even more fun but the engine is totally stock. I've seen 2 others here in FL that I don't know. They were still getting the bugs out of it, kind of hack jobs. They don't come on this site. I mentioned it to them to get some pointers but they didn't want to hear it. It's become a pretty common swap now. Time to come up with something new.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am in the process of getting everything together, I am going to use a complete '01 DOHC and use the birdies wires and EEC setup(simplest way I've been told).

Haven't decided on the forged internals before the install or at a later time.
If everyhting goes right it will all happen closer to the end of the summer, while its still nice enough out to ride my bike during the swap.

I am going to do most of the work myself since I like doing all my own work, might have a few friends help out at times when needed tho.

Pics of the whole process will come at that time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine will be running sometime in the next 3 or 4 days. Basically stock, just adding pulleys, gears, Mark VIII tranny and torque converter, couple other little things for now. Eventually I'll build up a motor like 46cougrrr (that thing sounds nasty), add a blower and that will be that

- Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will be building up my 4.6 DOHC in the next few months. Will try to get some headers for it, replace all sensors, upgrade ignition system, put 32# injectors in, get new valve covers, new (hopefully FR500) intake. Eventually I will put a SC on it. I will have the t-45 on before that addition though. To top it all off, straight borlas ;-)

In order to cut down on quirks, I have been doing all the electric research now, thanks to 4 cam bird, and a few others...I have gotten many things straightened out. Once I use a (basically new) rebuilt harness that I am doing, new computer, etc....I do not believe I will have many electrical quirks. It will be a drop and plug job when I am done with it.....so that the only thing that must be done is have it bolted down and coolant lines connected.....

It seems like the wiring has always been the pain in the behind with this project, but if you think it out.....and spend the money (like you should) it should come out great.

Anything can be done right with propper $$$$$ It is just parting with it that is the hard part. I would part with $$$$ before I ever let go of my T-Bird

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
lonnie , do you ahve any pics of the 64 ford swap, id love to see them, being i have one sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nope, no pics. The owner took all the pics with a regular camera and I'm still waiting for my copies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK,

so we have some major electrical stuff going on here. Controlling fans, etc, etc.....

To the best of your knowledge, what is the best computer/eec/harness/motor setup?

I know I was talking about using the mark EEC IV with the 95 motor, but you said something about fan problems ( I do not want that)

Also, there is something about the IMRC??? Where can I get the parts to fix this?

Money is not really an object in this swap, like I have said before...most of the work will be done in the garage before I even think about dropping it in.

I have:
97 T-bird EEC V

Motor:
95 Mark EEC IV

this will be the last time I bug anyone about this! Sorry for all of you that have put up with my questions.

What do you suggest I do? I will purchase another computer and harness if need be.

thank you!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
You have it easy. You can just use the stock 97 Tbird EEC (with a chip or reflash) and wiring. You'll just need to modify the stock 97 Tbird wiring harness to fit the DOHC, and use a RPM switch to open the IMRC's.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot about Liz when I originally made this post. When I remembered I wasn't going to pull it back up the top to just say that, but since its here, I'll say it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was think of doing it to my 94 Cougar, In the end i found it just plain cheaper and easy to stick with the SOHC, i dynoed her at 317hp and 308 tourqe did alot of work to it thou.... One bad sensor and a fault gasket killed her....

It's ok i got something new now......

·
Registered
141 Posts
NightWind said:
In the end i found it just plain cheaper and easy to stick with the SOHC,
Thats probally true for the most part. But it all depends on how high you are looking to go. But there is also that big time cool factor of transplanting that 4v motor that you don't get with the SOHC. But, then again, you can make a nasty sleeper with the 2v. I guess there are highs and lows to both engines. Well.......not that many lows :tongue:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am still working on installing a '99 Cobra motor into a black '96 T-Bird with sport options. My work schedule has caused most of my delays. I just got a quote back from Dan Newman for the last bunch of parts that I still need. I am planning to get the solid rubber motor mounts and transmission mount from MN12 Performance (costs less that stock ones also). I sent back one of my Kooks headers to SuperCoupe Performance to exchange for one that doesn't have an air injection port. I have Stage-8 header bolts and a remote oil filter kit for it.

I still need to finish mapping out the engine harness connectors to the T-Bird's connectors - no differences up to this point yet. I will have either Reinhart or Super Chips do the computer work. I'm planning on having a switch wired to the octane plug that will allow me to select a "Mild" setting so I can use regular gas for daily driving, and then a "Wild" setting for premium gas when I want to go out and play with it.

I haven't decided on whether to have Reinhart do the tranny build and put in the J-mods or to spend a couple of hundred more on an Art Carr pre-built one. I have a flex plate from a Ford truck to fit the 8-bolt crank and a torque converter from a Mark VIII. Air filtration is through stock Cobra air intake tubes and air filter. MAF sensor will be a Lightning 90mm unit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
But is it really that easy?

racecougar said:
You have it easy. You can just use the stock 97 Tbird EEC (with a chip or reflash) and wiring. You'll just need to modify the stock 97 Tbird wiring harness to fit the DOHC, and use a RPM switch to open the IMRC's.

-Rod

I know by now that the 97 TB wiring can be modified to fit the 95 M8 motor; however, I have read on and on about the differences in OBDI and OBDII.

Would it not be better to extend the wiring harness from the 95 M8 with the 95 M8 computer and place it in the location of the other 97 TB computer?

If not, and if all it requires is a reflash of an EEC-V to match up with an EEC-IV motor, that seems like the logical and "easier" method.

If anyone, (4cam), can tell me my best solution for my match up in just a couple of lines...I am sure I can use the rest of the info that you all have graciously placed in the forums to finish up this swap.

ALSO! what does getting rid of the EGR do? Anything good/bad? I am using a 97 Cobra intake in this application.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts