TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change timing chain adjusters and put a one piece crank sprocket on my 94 mk viii motor , I really don't want to fudge this up, are there any tutorials that any one know's of to help me out?
Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will be, I'm going to put in a low mile motor I've had for a few years, so I figured I'd do the tensioners and the crank gear, also I've been watching for a set of cobra cams.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
might as well degree them since the motor is out of the car....this will allow you to tailor the low end/top end performance, as well as the overall drivability of the car

the main cam gears on the DOHC are on the exhaust cams, and the secondary are on the intake cams....if you go to modularfords.com, you can search the mach1, 99/01 cobra, and 96-98 cobra forums and you'll find lots of info on degreeing and timing

·
Registered
136 Posts
To do it right you're going to need some special cam tools. A cam lock tool to hold the cams in place while you remove the primary chains. If not the cams may move under valve spring pressure and it's easy to jump a tooth. I installed a one-piecer in my motor as well, primary timing chain guides too. FYI, Ford doesn't make the teksid guides any more, all DOHCs now use the '03-'04 Cobra-style guides, which pivot on a pin, instead of a bushing like the Teksids.
In order to get the plastics you're going to have to order the whole guide, they don't sell the plastic (nylon) parts seperately. The new plastics should fit your original guides, you can just swap them. Or you can run the newer-style guides but have to get new dowel pins for them.
Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I only mentioned the guides because you said you wanted to change them in your first post.
Which tool kit did you end up ordering?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Modularheadshop.com has them for sale

1 - 13 of 13 Posts