TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these is better for the money when it comes to the power that it make i know that cams are 2wice as much for a dohc but is it more worth it then a sohc motor and will it go in just as smoothly

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
This topic comes up about once a week. Take a look around in this forum (Engine-4.6L & 5.4L) and you'll see quite a few threads on this very subject. Honestly, it really comes down to individual opinion.

-Rod

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i planed on useing nitrous and doing a bore on it so the dohc is better for nitrous, and if so is the mark 8 the best car to get the dohc motor out of and that is still aluminum to isnt it

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
unless you plan on using a kb or whipple, the dohc out performs sohc everywhere else(nitrous, N/A, turbo)
i wouldnt necessarily agree.....the 4.6 twin cam is often referred to as the torqueless wonder.....especially when i beat a 98 Cobra to the 1000ft mark and have 60 less hp and 500 more pounds than him. The single cam motor, when done right can make plenty of power, just ask JL.

·
Super Moderator
12,233 Posts
i wouldnt necessarily agree.....the 4.6 twin cam is often referred to as the torqueless wonder.....especially when i beat a 98 Cobra to the 1000ft mark and have 60 less hp and 500 more pounds than him. The single cam motor, when done right can make plenty of power, just ask JL.
well since torque can be traded for rotational speed, its nothing a set of 4.56-4.88 gears wont cure on a 4V :)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
This is just my opinion:

Bang for the buck: Explorer swap
Maximum overall power potential: DOHC swap

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Its not that the dohc is a torqueless motor it just makes its power higher up the range. its the exact same problem that the 429 cobra jet had. that motor without the proper gearing was junk at low rpm's due to the fact that it was moving so much air it would actually bog down til it hit its power curver

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree 100%...the SOHC can make plenty of power when done right, and is a great option on these cars. However, the DOHC is also very effective with that magic phrase "when done right".

My engine is completely untouched, and still breathing through the crappy SOHC exhaust on my car. I've run 13.68 and have a best 60' of 1.923 with a 3000 stall converter and 4.56 gears. I'm giving it more converter this year, and new exhaust, so we'll see what happens.

Either way you go, you'll be happy. Just make sure that you "do it right", and either motor will work well. I'm with Rod (racecougar)....it really boils down to personal preference.

Mike

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Same day,same dyno-I saw my car make 199rwhp and 282 ft-lbs back when it was relatively stock(I had compression bent 2.25" exhaust). A '98 Mark with dual exhaust, pullies, and a tune made 232 rwhp,and 240 ft-lbs.
In all the time since then-I've yet to see a Mark 4V make good power unless it was from somebody cramming a ton of boost down it's throat. They just don't perform N/A unless you spend a ton of money on them. If you wanna make good power N/A or P/A with a 4V-get a '99-up engine. If you wanna make good power in a 2V,get the Explorer engine,and a few supporting mods.
JL

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The other thing to condider is that Explorer motors that you find will have much less milage than a Mark motor. I know you said that you had looked into buying an explorer motor from A-Reliable, mine came from there. If you look on their website under specials they have a coupon for 10% off of a purchase over $1000 as long as you are picking it up.

-Miller

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well either way i do it im haveing the speed shop that im getting my tuning done one it help me out and the rights and wrongs and little tricks to get the most power out of it so maybe i'll just have to talk to him again and see which one he thinks i can obtain the best power out of running a 3.73 to a 4.10 gear im leaning towards a 3.73 tho because my gf went away to school and it's a 400 miles drive to go see her and i drive my car alot still so i think 4.10s will make me go bankrupt lol

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
EHat911 said:
well i see you post a decent time for a mn12 what have you done with that dohc
The only real mods it had when it ran the [email protected] MPH were Kooks headers, a very free flowing exhaust, 4.10's, and DR's. The engine itself was completely stock.

The other thing to condider is that Explorer motors that you find will have much less milage than a Mark motor.
Not if you know where to look. ;) Mine had a grand total of 7 miles on it when I stuck it in the XR7 (new-old stock). Though I'm sure it would be much easier to find super low mileage SOHC's.

-Rod

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Never been in a DOHC car but I love my PI swaped bird.Night and day difference for under $2k with around 2k miles on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Miles on the motor arent really a concern of mine because either way im gunna have it gone throguth by a machine shop to make sure nothing is warped or anything, and prolly put different pistons in it to achive the best compression for whatever i decide to do

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.