TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now the car is getting a pi swap. P&P'd PI heads/intake and I want to get comp cams. I was wondering if these comp cams would give me any ptv issues,

their specs are

XE268H- 230/236 @ .050"- .500"/.500" lift- on a 114 degree

And what would be the advantages if any over these

XE262AH- 226/230 @ .050"- .550"/.550" lift- on a 113 degree

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
268 Posts
You better be careful as the comps have 5 degrees of advace ground in from what I have read. You may heve PTV contact with them. I would research very carefully before I went with comps. I went with Stage 2 cams from VT and I expect no trouble from these.

You can go to MD and research cams by searching as they have great tech there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heavy Metal said:
You better be careful as the comps have 5 degrees of advace ground in from what I have read. You may heve PTV contact with them. I would research very carefully before I went with comps. I went with Stage 2 cams from VT and I expect no trouble from these.

You can go to MD and research cams by searching as they have great tech there.

I've heard that the stock bottom end with higher miles won't hold up to the vt stage II's. Any take on this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
SilverLx said:
I've heard that the stock bottom end with higher miles won't hold up to the vt stage II's. Any take on this?

It is more a function of how fast you spin the motor, and the A/F ratio you run. Just because the motor likes spinning faster with the cams, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
theres a lotta factors to be considered with a cam change... the 268 grind comps are just fine in a PI head or NPI head. the .500 lift is comparable to the PI cams lift, but has more duration , and some overlap... no need to worry about PTV issues with it... they work fine for me, and have just some Extra 'lope' at idle ... sounds cool , but not excessive... by all means get the comp springs while you are in there, as they are more durable with an upgraded cam, and handle higher rpm better (less float and seat rebound)... if you are going verry heavy, to all out raceing ,you may want'more' cam , but not for a real streeter. Good Luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leland Jacobson said:
theres a lotta factors to be considered with a cam change... the 268 grind comps are just fine in a PI head or NPI head. the .500 lift is comparable to the PI cams lift, but has more duration , and some overlap... no need to worry about PTV issues with it... they work fine for me, and have just some Extra 'lope' at idle ... sounds cool , but not excessive... by all means get the comp springs while you are in there, as they are more durable with an upgraded cam, and handle higher rpm better (less float and seat rebound)... if you are going verry heavy, to all out raceing ,you may want'more' cam , but not for a real streeter. Good Luck

Thanks. Made my decision to go with the 268's. I love the lope sound of these. And yes, I'm goin with new valve springs. I'm starting to build things up, and I figure might as well do it right. Thanks for the responses everyone.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
your going to want a loose convertor and gears with a cam like that, and don't just slap the cams in, degree them so you know for sure you won't have issues, and to make sure the cam is within it's own specs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure what you mean about that. A cam is a cam and the motor won't know the difference. Now a heavy right foot afterwards could speed up the demise on a tired engine though :D

I have less than 25K on my motor as the car isn't my daily driver. Now if I tear it up I will just have to rebuild it with the good stuff Ford didn't use.

SilverLx said:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
Not sure what you mean about that. A cam is a cam and the motor won't know the difference. Now a heavy right foot afterwards could speed up the demise on a tired engine though :D
i think he is talking more about stock rods and springs taking a dump at the 6500+ RPMs it would require to make efficient use of those cams...not to mention oil starvation in the bottom end that would result of such high rpms

1 - 10 of 10 Posts