TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question. What would be something to look for when doing a J-mod on a tranny from a salvage yard? The thinking is that getting a used trans or the control unit itself allows you to do the work on the main control unit at your liesure and still have your car. When the mod is completed you then have only the time to remove the fluid and switch the mod control unit to the car. What do you do with the one you now have? You do the mod again and sell it to someone who does not want to do the mod themselves for whatever reason.

Go Illini!!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Honestly, It's not worth the extra expense of buying a spare trans. Granted, I've done 8 or 9 of them by now, but drilling the plate is only about 20% of the job. The other 80% you'll have to do the day-of anyway, so why bother? When I did my last one to my car (i had just bought it recently) I did the whole thing in 2 hours, without spilling a drop on the ground. A newbie doing his first will probably take all day and spill a bit, just because they aren't as familiar with what they're looking at.

How many miles on the car? Still the orignal trans? Maintenance history? Fluid condition?

I have to ask, because of the track record 94-5 trannies have. If it's been well maintained and has relatively low miles, I'd go for the J-mod. If it's got 150k and the fluid has never been changed, it's probably not worth the effort. If you're more in the latter category, buying a spare trans might not be a bad idea. Those crappy 94 TC's like to bite the dust, and they'll take the trans with it. Find a nice 98-02 trans from a mark8 or a crown vic (non-police)- it will be much stronger than what you have now. Better to plan in advance than to get caught with your shorts down later.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Or, you could buy the 99 valve body new from Ford for around $200 bucks.

Edit: I agree with the above advice as well

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
No, you have to mod the seperator plate on it too. You also need a cheap little kit to mount that valve body on the older transmissions. They changed the alignment pin diameter on the newer valve body.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've had good luck with the 95 trannys. My first one was Jmodded at 166K and now has 195K on it still working good. I did change the TC to a Mk VIII. Of course, I bought the car with 75K miles and changed the fluid and filter immediately, but not with Mercon V, just the regular stuff. Didn't know any better. Every 30K or so I changed the filter again, replacing about 5 quarts of fluid each time before the Jmod and Mercon 5.

The second one had 189 showing on the odometer, but it wasn't working. No telling how many miles it has on it. However, it's in questionable shape. I think the TC might be in need of replacement and I'll be changing accumulator pistons soon.

I guess it's a crap shoot, but like I say, I've had pretty good luck with mine. Of course, it might have gone out before 75K and I would have never known it. The J-mod isn't all that expensive to do. You could do it to your present tranny and if it goes out at some future time, then you could buy the replacement. Economics would dictate, but I rarely have as much money as I want to spend, so I choose by logic what I'm going to do and when....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bluethunder said:
... the control unit itself allows you to do the work on the main control unit at your liesure and still have your car. ... What do you do with the one you now have? You do the mod again and sell it to someone who does not want to do the mod themselves for whatever reason.
IMO, IF your tranny is in good shape. I would just get a 98+ VB and take your time.
As far as the old VB. Keep it for a spare or sell it. I wouldn't j-mod it unless asked by the buyer. He/she may want it drilled at a different level. Plus, some of us have been known to mis-drill the separator plate and need to get another (cough, cough) :rolleyes: .

Rob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doing the J-mod

Thanks for the advice and I will probably go ahead and do the work on the original trans plus install a 24K cooler while I am at it. I can always rely on good information from you all. If it can be done I know someone in TCCoA has done it. The car is a 94LX with 81K. I have taken very good care of it and it spends the winters in a heated garage.

Go Illini beat the Spartans

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
That's fairly low miles for the age. Ever had the TC shudder? If the fluid is red and dirty, that's not unusual. If its brown or smells really burnt, that's a warning. If it's blacker than motor oil don't even bother. I'm speaking from experience, my last car was a 95 made in 10/94 with the old crappy 94 TC.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The drilling is the EASIEST part of doing a JMOD....its the darned 25 bolts that hold the main control that are the hardest. The rest is "maintenance".

once you remove the main control separating the plate, and drilling it, takes 5 minutes.

BTW, I have a 350-drilled 94 main control.... low miles and all...too bad no one wants the 94 main control!

I'll sneak it into my buddy's high-mileage 93 next time I do a tranny service for him... let him think I bought him a chip!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Blackicelsc said:
The drilling is the EASIEST part of doing a JMOD....its the darned 25 bolts that hold the main control that are the hardest. The rest is "maintenance".

once you remove the main control separating the plate, and drilling it, takes 5 minutes.

BTW, I have a 350-drilled 94 main control.... low miles and all...too bad no one wants the 94 main control!

I'll sneak it into my buddy's high-mileage 93 next time I do a tranny service for him... let him think I bought him a chip!
Will your drilled 94 unit bolt directly in my 93? If so what do you want for it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
how's it gonna work in a 93 anyway? They're not 4R70W's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TC shudder

I honestly don't think the TC shudders but then I am not sure what I should be looking for. The car is smooth and silk but it shifts like all 94 LXs. I want to get that chirp from 1st to 2nd or it to kick in when a Gran Prix or Monte Carlo comes along side. The fluid is clean and there are no leaks so it will be jmod time this year.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you buy the 99+ VB, do you have to take it apart to drill it?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
If you buy the 99+ VB, do you have to take it apart to drill it?
Have to? No. It will be 100% better just installing that valvebody. If you drill it it will be better again.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Does the 99+ VB make it shift harder and quicker as well?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts