TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Very nice... How Much?
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 LX 3.8, single exhaust, stock setup right now but i would like to do a dual exhaust setup with 2.5" pipes and flowmaster mufflers.... What all do i need to order to have a shop install this for me ? or if anyone knows of a kit or something i would greatly appreciate it....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
ive had friends with 6 bangin mustangs that put flowmaster on. at idle it sounded good.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've yet to here a 3.8 V6 Bird with a deep exhaust... it will sound ok at idle... but your still gonna get the ricer sound from it at higher RPM. But then again im very spoiled with my V8 exhaust tone :D. So hearing a V6 makes me cringe. Headers, True Duals, magnaflow muffler mount midbody might be the best you could do. Good luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Also, have the muffler shop custom bend the piping to fit. Just buy the mufflers off Ebay or something and have them put it on... best way to save money that route... at least I did. My shop bent everything for me and installed for 80 bucks... I bought the Magnaflow DI/DO muffler for 120.00 seperate and had them install it as well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well for a start i wouldn't use Flowmaster's if you want deep. I would say Magnaflow, Borla, and even Dynomax (dynomax is a bit quiet usually) would sound much deeper than flowmaster. There's really not much you can do as far as deepness. You can try an h-pipe or even an x-pipe but i doubt that would deepen up the sound of your 6 just because of the firing order as opposed to the 5.0 and 4.6 MN12's. If i were you i would probably use a relatively quiet muffler (dynomax) so you can hopefully avoid the angry bee sound that many 6's have at higher RPM.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Very nice... How Much?
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this all sounds great unfortuneately sounds like japaneese to me...lol....

Is there anyone that can like sum up for me what to buy and where they are supposed to be installed lie positions?

My friends garage is gunna do it so no prob there.....

And sorry for bein a pain just new at this....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
ok it goes stock cats (if you dont have to worry about smog, hollow em out), mid mount muffler(your choice) y pipe into dual pipes and out the back.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
I have a 3.8 and it has dual exhaust. Mufflers are magnaflow. It sounds decent, it doesn't sound like a 5.0 or 4.6 Mustang, but it sounds better than stock. Not just from what people told me either, I've heard it start up before while I was in the house. I'm not sure if its just the magnaflows that make it sound different though, it might be the removed air silencer also. :zdunno:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a 3.8 and it has dual exhaust. Mufflers are magnaflow. It sounds decent, it doesn't sound like a 5.0 or 4.6 Mustang, but it sounds better than stock. Not just from what people told me either, I've heard it start up before while I was in the house. I'm not sure if its just the magnaflows that make it sound different though, it might be the removed air silencer also. :zdunno:
silencer has very little if anything with exhaust tone i think.

·
Registered
974 Posts
On my 4.6 i couldn't tell a wiff of difference between the air silencer on or off. Hell i couldn't even tell the difference between stock intake paper filter and a open conical filter element.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i jus got an exaust on my car last week. my uncle owns a muffler shop...stock headers, stock y pipe & hollowed cats, after last cat i got exaust cutout wit flip switch in car, ( its really nice with that, even at WOT) then i got sum brand muffler they carry in shop si/Do with turndowns right after wheels so u cant see it....... the car surprises ppl at stoplights cause they dont expect me to uncork the exaust cause its freaking loud!!!!!!!!! cant wait till summer when i put in 408....not a bad sound for a 3.8

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
the best sound would probally be off road with non-glass packed turbo mufflers like standard thrush mufflers. That might make a nice note? Flowmasters sound good at Idle on a 3.8 but still have a rice sound. Any think with packing as in glass packs, magnaflows, dynomax turbos and so on still make rice. they have different types of magnaflows thou. Try finding a sound clip of a 3.8 with Hooker aerochambers that might sound nice havent heard that one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts