TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok it just started...

now that its cold out when i drive while its not completely warmed up i hear a LOUD like screech...almost like static in a microphone (usually happens at around 1800 k or so

but when the car warms up it goes away

what the hell is that noise and what is making it?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Maybe the belt is slipping?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
It's probably the idler pulley, I read in a service bulliten that the bearings go bad and it squeels in cold weather. Mine was doing it last winter. I pulled mine off and sure enough, the bearing was binding. I replaced it and the noise stopped. It's cheap ( less than 15.00 bucks ) and easy to replace. Just remove the belt, unbolt the pulley and change it, then replace the belt. A 10 min. job. I tried shooting WD-40 on it for a while, but just made a mess and the noise returned after a day or two. So that 's what I would check. And like FordMan said, if the belt is slipping, check the belt tensioner. Now mine is starting to make a little noise with these extremely low temp.. Good Luck

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing as well in cold weather... very loud screech for a few seconds... then it stops after it idles for a minute or two. Figured it was belt/pulley related. Now I know :)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
There's two pullies that usually squeak over time.

The idler pulley and the tensioner pulley.

Ford sells an improved pulley that fits both locations, and the pulley costs around $11 from Dan Newman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts