TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had driven my Malibu 90 miles to swap a monitor at a Chili's Restaurant (at the QA station), and when I left, I pulled into the next door Exxon station.

As I restarted the car, I heard some belt chirp, then lost power steering and the alternator light lit up.

I pulled back into the Burger King, and look what I found!

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Naw, there's a pronounced miss at idle (Cylinder 2 miss - bad wire, it turns out!). I bet that alternator sitting on the end of that bracket just whacked the pot aluminum too many times.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
I broke my original manifold on Lazarus doing wot shifts... (The alternator caused it...)

Just how bad did you want gas?! :eek:

:rofl:

On the good side; it being a Chevy, JB weld will fix that right up. :thumbsup:

(j/k)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What a pisser!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
That isn't the first GM I've seen that happen to. Black_Cat and I were working on a Corvette one time and as were were slowly letting the belt tensioner back out, the alternator/ power steering bracket broke. We were both like "wtf!?".

·
Super Moderator
16,840 Posts
Planned obsolescence is omnipresent in the N body. "for when our pesky customers think they can simply replace worn parts just out of warranty, we'll make their mounting brackets fail soon after! Ah hahaha"

·
Registered
680 Posts
That is sucky! I've found with the GM products my family has owned, they have less problems but they are catastrophic. My Fords have given more issues, but minor ones.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wow, never saw one go on a 3100/3400. Thats what you get for having that ultra strong belt tensioner. ;)

That bracket the idler is attached to is also the alternator bracket. It appears that the rear alternator bracing bracket isnt there. It goes from the bolt near the break to the closest intake manifold stud.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Hit up the hardware store, tell them, "I'm going to need all the JB Weld that you've got."

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a brand new Camaro once, after 30 days the dash fell on to the steering column when I shut the door.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I had a brand new Camaro once, after 30 days the dash fell on to the steering column when I shut the door.
Seems to be a trend with the generic motors junk. They always fall apart

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
GM's plan... it's called planned obsolescence. Time to buy a used Lexus :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts