TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my door ajar light on the gauge panel came on and won't go out. The dome lights work fine when the doors are opened or closed. My question is, does the little button that operates the dome light also operate the door ajar light? And if it does, can the dome lights still work fine if one of my switches is bad or should I look somewhere else for the problem?

·
Registered
127 Posts
yes, its that little pin near the door hinges. i had the same problem, tried oiling a little and this worked for a while. eventually i replaced the pins after the problem kept coming back. the problem didnt effect my dome light either

ty

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the same problem, but theres a short some where. I keep blowing fuses. :mad:

Hope to get our there and see if I can hunt it down today.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Search! :)

The door ajar sensor is in the latch. Take some wd40 and spray the latch down. The problem will go away. It's a big tbird thing.

The pin switch near the hinge is not the door ajar sensor. (if you don't believe me, push it in when the door is open)

wd40 and call it a day. Mine hasn't come on for a year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
oops

guess i was oiling the wrong one.haaha....mine were replaced under warranty, guess i assumed the wrong pins were replaced.:leftright

ty

learned somethin' new

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
wd40 is ok but valvoline (sp?) has this thicker stuff that holds a lot better -- I had that problem with the mark almost right away. Hit it with that stuff and it doesn't come back for a LOONNNGGGG time.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
chrisnack said:

The door ajar sensor is in the latch.

i'm stupid, but where would that be located...lol...is that the door handle?...or is it the part that holds the door closed? my door ajar came on today and wont car off.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
part that holds the door closed.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
would that cause the THEFT light to always stay on. i know that when i lock my car, the theft light stays on for a few seconds and then turns off, meaning that the car is armed (well thats how i understand it as). now i noticed that it wont turn off, it just stays on, would this be caused since the car might think the door is open?

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
I have the same problem, my door ajar light stays on and wont go off? I just sprayed wd40 all over the latch and the light is still on. What else could the problem be? Will it be expensive to fix? By this door ajar light staying on, will it blow the bulbs, which light up the speedo and other gauges, and the lights on the power window switch, etc? My car has 71,000 miles as of now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help you guys. I used WD-40 and it worked good, the light has been off for a week now. For you guys still having problems, keep spraying it every couple days. I had to spray my latch, and I mean hosed it down 3 or 4 times to get it to go out. It worked for me, I hope it works for y'all.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i just did WD40'd it...but still havent gotten off...should i just continue to once in a while then?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok,

I'm going to try this, but as a plan B, how the heck do you get that panel that holds the light out of the dash?

Does it work like Ford Radios and you just need a tool to insert in the holes on the LHS and RHS of the panel?

TB

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
javaContour said:
Ok,

I'm going to try this, but as a plan B, how the heck do you get that panel that holds the light out of the dash?

Does it work like Ford Radios and you just need a tool to insert in the holes on the LHS and RHS of the panel?

TB
are u talking about the door ajar bulb?...

if so, even if you take it out, the system is going to still think that the door is open, which might interfear with the alarm. it did on mine. everytime i locked the doors and left the car, the car alarm would go on after it engaged since it thought the door was open.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
ahh...

either way, there is no removal tools for the dash. you have to get the whole cluster out to remove the bulb from the back

·
Registered
17 Posts
smokymance said:
ahh...

either way, there is no removal tools for the dash. you have to get the whole cluster out to remove the bulb from the back
I think you might be confused, my Door Ajar Light is in a small nearly DIN sized panel at the bottom of the center stack.

IIRC, the lights on your 1997 are in the instrument cluster, so yes, in your case the cluster must be removed. (I'm assuming when you say cluster, you mean instrument cluster.)

However, I think the trim panel for the center stack must be removed in my case. (I have a 1995 model)

FWIW,

TB

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
oh yeah...totaly missed that part. now i know what ur talking about. im thinking you just pull it off some how. i couldnt tell ya!

sorry about all that:tongue:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, radio removal tools would work except that the warning light panel only has 2 holes, and the radio/climate control panels have 4. So either bend your tools up so that only 1 prong fits in the one hole on each side of the panel, or use a coat hanger to accomplish the same thing. No need to remove the trim panel as far as I know. And yes, if the door latch sensor sticks, your anti-theft system will not arm or work correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts