TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my exterior handle has been messed for a month or two now. i just got a new handle from the dealer the other day. but when i popped the door pannel off, i realized that i have no idea how to get it off, or more importantly, how to put the new one on. please help.

·
Super Moderator
7,740 Posts
It's riveted on. On the outside of the car you need to drill out the rivets. If you lift up the outside door handle you will see them. Once those are drilled out, reach in through the inside and unhook the rods that operate the door lock and latch. Then reverse the process for putting them back on and rivet the new handle in place.

Mike

·
Registered
708 Posts
and get you one of those gorilla sized rivet guns and a friend to hold the end when it pops (or it WILL scratch the paint)

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Is this something better left for a body shop to do? Or atleast someone with more experience at it?

-Melon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd rather not, i mean the handle was a hundred already... god only knows what those thieves will want to put it in. plus i'd rather gain the experience. but, my lack of a rivet gun is probably going to make that impossible. unless there are alternatives...?...

·
Registered
708 Posts
well ford will sell you the correct rivets so you dont have to guess at the hardware store. they're not that much. you do need the big rivet gun though. its a big purchase if youre only gonna use it once.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
modbird said:
its a big purchase if youre only gonna use it once.
My reason right there why I will talk to a local body shop about it. I'd rather pay them the cash, have it done right, then me to spend the money on it for a one time thing, and possibily mess something up.

Thanks
-Melon

·
Registered
250 Posts
door handles on these birds are tough if you have never been into anything like it before......id suggest taking it to a bodyshop......why is it everyone thinks they get it put to em at the dealership....you only get screwed at a dealership if you let them do it to you, it would cost you about 80 bucks to have it put in at my shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys care way too much, like big brothers. the truth is, that i want to get into body work, i didnt want to say it before because i'm not trying to get laughed out of this place for not knowing how to do a freakin door handle... i've only been doing this stuff for a year or so and this is just the first time i've ever had to fix a door handle. as for the inexperience, if i scratch my door, i'm getting a phat air compressor in the next month or two, i have to paint the beast anyways. i appreciate the concern from all of you but the best help you could offer me right now is where to get the best rivet gun for the most reasonable price. thanks again.

·
Registered
708 Posts
harbour freight is a good place to get one cheap. its the biggest one they make. and if a friend holds the tip TIGHT to the handle, it wont scratch the paint.

·
The Parts Guy
7,371 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts