TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
549 Posts
Looks right, you'll need to drill out your hinge receiver hole for the new bushing IIRC.

Lower hinge should get new bearings and pin too unless you want to replace it with another old hinge set, then do the bushings and pin later after you get it all back together, lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
That looks like the right part, although the part # doesn't match up. This is what you want: Dorman 38438

No offense but I think you should consider changing out the pins & bushings on the lower hinges instead of replacing them. It's probably all they need.

The Dorman bushings are much thicker (IMHO far superior) to the factory bushings, they will definitely last longer than OEM. Plus, the Dorman bushings/pins are so much easier to change out in the future if needed (unlikely) since you won't have to grind anything.

I started writing an article on doing the hinge pins, it's not done yet, but here's what I have so far in case it helps: https://www.blueovaltech.com/mn12/door-hinge-repair.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks alot i never replaced hinges or bushings before but i also plan on keeping this thunderbird for a while.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,925 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
RwP, apparently the 703-270 is a 2-door package (4 bushings, 2 pins, etc). Good to know.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Well, there IS that - I bought four (!!) of the 703-270's and found that out.

Too much to ship out, or I'd offer to sell them to someone. Am keeping them for in case I meet someone who could use them.

RwP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Bringing this back up. After putting the job off for a few years, I finally replaced the pins on my 95. Wow, what a difference!

However, it was a big job. Both pins took many, many hits with a punch and BFH to remove, and a die grinder is mandatory, don't see a Dremel touching this.

Replacing the top pin did nothing, all the wear was in the bottom hinge. The holes had egged out so bad that I decided to have them 1/3 welded up, and re-drill. I was concerned that my plan would get lost in translation, but they welded them up nice. Though the heat did harden up the rubber bushing.

I then spent an evening grinding out and re-drilling the holes for the bushings. Put it back together on the weekend, threw a new striker in there, and it closes like a brand new door! I will have to catch myself to keep from slamming the door shut!

Cliffs: if the door drops down when you open it, you may need to have the holes partially filled in and re-drill. Otherwise, it the new bushing may just work it's way back into the egged out part again.

Al
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top