Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how common an issue this is for everyone. Just replaced mine today.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I havn't replaced mine yet but i need to. I didnt know that you could. I figured it was a real big job and pricey. Some info on it would be a big help if you can. Did it fix the sagging completly. I plan on doing it very soon probably a good winter project. Thanks

"CRASH":thumbsup:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Only the lower one because it went completely bad and the door sagged so low it wouldn't latch, it just ran into the rocker panel. I looked at my upper and it's going bad too now. I also noticed the top one had been ghetto fixed once already by drilling out the hole and welding in a fatter pin, obviously it didn't work. I'm going to wait and see if those couple guys on the board can make the vertical door kit. If they can't do it then I'll just replace the hinges when I get my new door on and painted (accident from January)
-Thomas

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
a few years back when I had my bird a local body shop did it for 200, both hinges.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i had to replace both left and right hinges on the sc i did last year, also left hand on my 90 when i had it. and i did pins and bushings on my current ones, i should of done completes though.

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
The replacing of just pins and bushings is ok if you really dont care about the car and its just a driver mn12 but if you have your car that you care about the whole assembly is the way to go. I have replaced upper and lowers on both doors on my nice 95, I have done about 10 other mn12 doors since. Its something I can do now in an hour.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i did it as a cost saving measure for now, both doors were bad and the car is costing me a small fourtune to finish. at this point sounds like a summer job, and at that ill probally pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Actually as long as you don't let the hinges get too far gone the bushing/pin replacement is just fine, but if you let it get past the point where it's worn through the bushing and elongated the hole in the hinge then that is when you need to replace the entire hinge.

-J

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
soop said:
Roy, did you replace the hinge(s), or the hinge pins?
I replaced the entire hinge. Took about 30 minutes to do one, and cost $5.25. Pulled a hinge from the yard. The process can be a one-man job. Here is most of what I used:
1. 5/16 socket - 1/4 drive
2. 1/4 drive extension.
3. 13mm deep socket
4.12" 3/8 drive extension
5. Floor jack
6. Replacement hinge

Rough-Draft Instructions
1. There are about 7 bolts securing the fender, that need to be removed. There are about 5 inside the engine bay, and 2 in the door jam. Use the 5/16 socket to remove them. The extension may be needed for the bolts inside the door jam. With these bolts removed, you will have greater access to the hinge bolts, which must be accessed.

2. With fender bolts removed, you can now begin to unbolt the faulty hinge. At this time, you may want to secure the door with the floor jack. Use a towel as a spacer, so you do not chip the paint. Also be careful when bending the fender back, as the edge is SHARP! Wear longsleeve shirt. Using the 13mm deep socket, remove the 4 bolts. With the door supported by the flor jack, it should not move much with the bolts removed.

3. This part is a bit of a pain. There is another bolt located behind the floor panel, near the emergency brake. It is a bit of a pain to get to. Remove the exterior panel. There is then a black plastic layer. This can be cut with snips or a razor. BE CAREFUL! You do not want to cut yourself. With this out of the way, you should notice a hole, partially blocked by some wiring. Push the wiring to the side, and you should feel the 5th bolt that hold the door hinge in place. Remove this with the 13mm deep socket (or 1/2 socket) and extension. Be careful, as one of my sockets is stuck inside that panel area :boom:

4. Now you and your assistant can manage a way to get the hing out, and the new hinge in. Repeat these steps, and you are done. Very inexpensive, and fun. Hope this info help you guys out. Go pull one at the junk yard. Better to practice there, than on your car:thumbsup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot something. When the hinge bolts are threaded on, use the floor jack to apply pressure to the door. Jack the door up, and then tighten the bolts up. All better now:cool2:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My '95 is horrible. The door sags about 1.5" when opened. Its so bad, that its wearing a hole through the metal where it hits when you try to close the door.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have not. I really need to though. But, I need to repaint the fenders and doors. But by this time next year I am hoping to need a new hood to accomadate some things that stick up a little higher underneath it. So I will need to paint that. And, some painting needs done under the hood, and since the engine will be out to install the stuff that sticks up higher, that will be the perfect time to do that. So I want to do all the painting at one time, so the hinges get let go for a while yet. The doors might be touching the ground by that time though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jack K:
My door was saggy quite a bit also. Wore a small grove in the white part on top of the car. It really is not time consuming. If I had the time, I'd help ya.

4 Cam bird:
Replacing the hinges will not interfere with your plans. Waiting is not going to make it any better. Just set about an hour aside, and do it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My Cat had the pins and bushings replaced, and that worked fine for a while. Now the doors are sagging again.

What do brand new hinges cost?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bigiron383 said:
How much of an isue is this on a '97 with low miles?:confused:
All depends on you really. If you can tolerate a door that cannot close unless you life it, then no worries. Mine was saggying VERY low. Now that it is fixed, it is like a new car. It is not hard to do. Pull a hinge from the yard for practice, then apply that to your own car. PM me if you have ANY questions. We are all here to help each other.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A complete hinge from the yard ran me $5.25. Take them from the passenger side. They get used less (of course). See how the door shuts, and pick the best one. I doubt this is a part you can buy "new," but you never know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have heard that all thunder birds door hings break because the door is heavy is this true cause my drive side door hing is broke and i am not goin to open it until i get it fixed but just wondering why thunderbirds hings go out more then other hings on cars

1 - 20 of 26 Posts