TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93 tbird, the latches have gone out. i have also a 95 tbird parts car, how do i get the latches out. any ideas. i did get the screws out but cannot get the latch out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You will have to take the door trim off to get inside the door. You will have to start with the inner door handle first by removing it and pulling out the rod that goes from the handle to the latch. Then you will disconnect the push button rod and outer handle from the latch. It's not until after all that is done you can remove those 3 screws and pull the latch out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On the same note: What's a suitable replacement for the plastic on the latch pin?
Probably a new latch pin. I'm sure something could be frabricated but anything flexible enough to slide on would be destroyed by the latch and anything strong enough wouldn't slide on. I haven't looked at it in awhile and back in the day I used electrical tape but it didn't last long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On the same note: What's a suitable replacement for the plastic on the latch pin?
I have a piece of (I think) 5/16 fuel line on my passenger side right now. It was tight to get it on there, but it seems to be holding up. The ones in the Help! packs seem to be too big, the door won't close all the way with them. This is a little better, but still not perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, my door stopped latching because it had sagged. i fixed it by putting a couple of washers between the door and the bottom hinge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ew part from the dealer is $26.00.
Autozone I have been told carries *just* the plastic piece so that all you need to do is replace that as well.

DON'T EVEN ask me how I know...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Those bushings in the HELP section that says tailgate liftgate striker bolt bushings will not work. I have bought these before and they are not the right size. If they do make the proper sized ones, let me know. I always just buy new strikers when the bushings get cracked.
-Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts